Due Tuesday February 5. Contribute your writing as a COMMENT on this post.

For this week’s blogging assignment, first read the linked article, “What is Graphic Design?”

Then, write two complete paragraphs in response to the article. In the first paragraph, discuss what the article made you think of and/or how it contributed to your understanding of visual communication and graphic design. In the second paragraph, pose a question that you’d like to ask the author – and propose a possible answer to your question.

Leave your response as a COMMENT on this post.

Not sure how to leave a comment? Instructions on contributing to the blog are found here. Haven’t joined the blog yet? What are you waiting for? Directions for joining the blog are here.

Save your writing in a separate file, as well, until we’re sure that the blog is working well. And, if for some reason it takes a while for your comment to be approved, don’t panic!

19 Responses to Blog Homework 01

1. Profile photo of is137754 is137754 says:

This article made me see that many people don’t realize that graphic design is everywhere. Graphic design influences your everyday life from the time you wake up in the morning to the time you go to bed. Image and type are either used separately or combined to allow one to associate objects and ideas with certain things they see everyday. Graphics allows you to use all your senses in order to feel what you are seeing and thinking. The questions that were posed throughout this article really made me think about how graphics is an everyday idea we don’t usually think about, but also how important it really is.
    The author stated that it is usually hard to connect the audience with the creative process of making a design or image. My question to the author is “What do you believe is the best and most effective way to involve the audience in this process?” My hypothetical answer would be is to survey a sample of the population in which you pose questions about the image created and compare it to other images like it. After, you can try testing out the effectiveness of your image and by doing this you will be able to see how the image sits in their mind and how effective it can potentially be. This article really made me think about how much graphic design effects our everyday lives.

2. Profile photo of Gai DaGai Gai DaGai says:

This article made me think of 3 things. One is how I brainstorm. Understanding and knowing that art is all around you, means that ideas is all around you. So whenever I need to get ideas or word associations, I always think it’s best to sometimes walk around instead of sitting behind empty walls. Two is how I would design my flyers for various clubs such as UCLA, to convey the message of what type of club and the event they are trying to host. Also at the same time trying to make sure the students understand what the message is trying to be convey on the flyers. Three is how hard coming up with a logo can be! Designing the right logo can be extremely hard and time consuming, but if you successfully create one, you will love the turnout of the organizations using your designed logo.

My question to the author would be; How are some logo great at identifying a company, while other aren’t? A possible answer might be (Jokingly) because some companies didn’t pay enough to their designer, haha. No. I think that some logos are great at identifying their companies because of how much marketing and branding the company has done. Having the graphic logo representation isn’t enough, a company needs to put the value into their logo. If their company is more well known their logo can easily be identify. Also if their logo is design in such a unique way that when someone see the logo they will know who they are.

3. Profile photo of Tao Lin Tao Lin says:

This article gave me ideas of how I’m suppose to approach a design project. What really stands out for me is how the article explains images and type, there is a lot of factors to consider, like what the client wants to convey to the audience. Also, the research that is needed to capture the audience attention and how technology can play a big part in the finish product. After reading the article I went back to the flyer and logo that I created for my website, and see that most of the designs I did were flawed. I am going to correct my designs according to the article best practice!

In the article the author describe image and type based-branding as two separate components. My question to the author is, what is the best way to learn image and type based-branding? or should I learn them together or separately? A hypothetical answer will be, to learn the image and type based-branding separately. To understand its core component more in-depth and to bring them together, to create a design that can communicate to the desire audience.

4. Graphic design plays a very important role in identifying an idea, product, and especially a person or company. From reading this article it has only supported the backbone meaning of graphic design inside what I perceive “Logos” to be. Logos in pop culture and the corporate world have always been great to dissect. Just like this article mentioned, the CBS “Eye” among other logos are part of the “… symbolic forms, which we learn to recognize as representing a particular concept or company.” By producing logos into the mainstream, they are up for interpretation. I say that, to say this: Some have even taken the CBS “eye” to be associated with the “All Seeing Eye” on the back of the dollar bill. Which to these analyzers could possibly be a link to the association to an Illuminati of sorts. Kind of extreme huh? What I take from the logo and others of the same category is not so deep but I have an appreciation for the work that goes into making the logo itself.
    My question to the writer is: What kind of process does it take a Graphic Design Artist to create a logo that encompasses what the company embodies? I think that a great achievement for a graphic designer is (not only to create an amazing memory of the subject in their audience but )to be associated with the design the company has chosen to be directly involved with. Then asked to be involved with future projects (whether with the company or not). So, if I had to answer this question it would run parallel with the criteria our first assignment. In order to create a logo one must create word associations, thumbnail sketches, and do some consulting with the company itself to perfect the image that is perceived by its audience and even the World as a link to perfection.

5. This article is A very good way to explain to the reader that graphic design can be seen everywhere. Designers use different types of methods to get their ideas across in various ways. The images and Types section really caught my eye, where they explain how the artist wants to convey his or hers idea to their audience. You really have to think of a creative idea to show the audience but at the same time for it to be interpreted correctly and be seen the way the artist wants. There is a lot to take in when it comes to graphic design.
    The author explains how Image and Typed based design are separate and also how they can be used together, My question To the author would be how would one know which type would be best to express their work? An answer can be determined by the type of audience the artist wants to connect with. If the artist is targeting an older audience Type would be more appropriate while the image would be best for a younger one and if the artist is targeting both then image and type combined can be used

6. Profile photo of Kelly W. Kelly W. says:

After reading this article, graphic design, nay art in general, becomes a means of expression and communication for instances in which words alone can’t do the job. Having friends in the graphic design field already made me realize how important their skill is in this commercialized world. Life has become faster paced and visual based. Therefore, graphic design achieves to grasp people’s attention by putting messages into shorter more eye catching methods. The manipulation of symbols and words can be the determination of whether we choose certain products of not.
    The article also gets me into thinking about my major: Psychology. The articles talked about how image types come into play in order for clients to convey their message to the audience. As an audience, what catches our eye? How do certain logos and symbols connect with our schemas? How do graphic designers know what will work best for their client in order to get the most consumers? I feel that in order to answer the question is to study psychology itself. Understand the human mind and how things appeal to our senses.

7. The article made me recognize that graphic design can be expressed in various ways such as images, types, and logos, and how important it is to understand the messages that designers intend to deliver for us, and the communication that is formed between designers and clients in our society. On the other hand, I usually tend to overlook many images and types in everywhere that I can see because I didn’t understand well. Also, it was not a easy thing for me to realize about the purpose or meanings of visual communication called graphic design. However, after reading this article, I could understand the real meaning and some details of graphic design as well as how it can be expressed in our life.

My question to the author is, “How ideas that are retrieved in our society is interpreted by designers and what is the ultimate purpose of delivering the thoughts?” An answer will be that designers, as a middleman, often use some tools such as graphic design to successfully interpret some ideas or abstracts into explanation or visualization and deliver it to the audience. Actually, this kind of process possesses some subjective thoughts or imagination which are originated from a designer’s own experience or perspective. Evaluation of the thoughts can be various; the ideas interpreted by the designers may seems like pure, abstracted, informative, or even persuasive. However, in each types of explanation, it always contains some messages that the designers want to say to us.

8. Profile photo of Candice~ Candice~ says:

The article gives not just definition of graphic design, but also the concepts and application of graphic design. According to the article, graphic design is a element of everyday’s communication. It can relate from a simple fliers to a TV logo. As it mentioned, when the audience is received a visual image, they will link the object in the image to another characteristic which would creat a pun as it usually does. For example, an image of ice also represent coldness. Most importantly, the article indicats that the way every image or letter or symbol is presented is vitally essential to make a great impact on the message. According to the artciel the designer is likely on a third-person view to the message which gives the designer a powerful stands on the message to deliberate the way that not clients and audiences can do since the audience is too closed to the message and the audience is too broad to affect the message.
    One of the question I want to ask author is that “does desinger often change the contents of the message to create a better influence or perhaps a better message?” . Given that the message is originally from a client, the essences of the message might as well be important to conduct the meaning. Since designer is contributed to make a powerful effect, does it mean the designer can also change the message on some aspects to make it more powerful?

9. Profile photo of nk148484 nk148484 says:

The article is pointing at graphics in every aspect of our modern life. And it is true. Basically, whatever we all see is a picture, shape, contour, something that can be reproduced in the shape of the drawing, collage, photo, etc.Towards the advertising, we all unconsciously follow the images and words so skillfully presented to us by marketing teams that work close with graphic designers, photographers, and other creative thinkers.

But how and why do they pick certain images and certain approach to the public? How to create an image that would carry only one meaning? Do they all want one meaning to the image, or some work on making people associate the ads themselves, up to their abilities? How to create an image that will imprint in the minds of the audience? Well, the answer to all that is the product and target market. If the designers want the product to be concrete, they use the image with no different meanings to it. The target audience is an important part of the project. Depending on that, designers pick images that are easily recognizable for their simple or very complicated shape, for their colors or absence of colors. The more unique the image, the more recognizable it is. For sure, there is another important factor that plays a big role in leaving a mark in people’s minds. It is the frequency of appearing of the image on public.

10. This article made me realize that graphic design is extremely significant in the business world. A business is able to reach millions of people without actually going anywhere or saying anything by ways of graphic communications. For instance, billboards, magazine ads, and brochures are the various ways a designer can communicate their message to business owners and their target audience. People immediately respond to images seen in advertisements because it connects to their personality, associations, previous experiences, or emotions. Lastly, it is said that “a picture is worth a thousand words” because people have the ability to understand images instinctively rather than reading words on a page

My question to the author would be: is it really necessary for companies to have logos? My answer would be yes, it is necessary for companies to have logos because a company is a brand and that logo represents that brand. Logos are at the front of every company and are labeled on everything from jeans to every paper work and advertisement that goes out into the world. Most companies do not put their names on advertisements, they just put their logos and the consumers are able to identify the establishments because the logos are so symbolic.

11. It’s fascinating to see how graphic design is incorporated in our everyday lives. What is more astounding is the work process that graphic designers go through in creating and developing their designs. Not only must they brainstorm, sketch ideas, and repeat that process multiple times but being that they have to take into consideration multiple perspectives as stated in the article,” the designer must have a clear vision of the corporation or idea to be represented and of the audience to which the message is directed,” coming up with a final design must be quite a challenge. This article gave me a greater appreciation of the work graphic designers produce, because it exemplified that picking the right image, text, or whatever graphic to communicate with the audience is no easy task.
    Being that a graphic designer has to take multiple perspectives into consideration, my question to the author would be, how many graphic designers work on a project, and how do they combine all their ideas? The most reasonable answer to me would be that depending on the scale of the project that will determine the number of designers involved. In regards to how they combine their ideas, I assume that each designer creates what he/she believes will work best and then they pick and choose parts from each designer’s idea.

12. Profile photo of Alex Maglio Alex Maglio says:

When I read, “From humble things like gum wrappers to huge things like billboards to the T-shirt you’re wearing…”, I began to realize how crucial graphic design is to any company. I also realized that my future job prospects involve a plethora of industries which include advertising, a wide variety of marketing, and even management to name a few. The graphic designer works in these fields and with people from other industries. This seems like a fast-paced career in which innovation and originality can bring you to the next level. Visual communication is something that we are constantly witnessing even when we don’t notice it.

I would ask the author of this article what makes a good graphic designer, and what is a common fault of beginners? While I don’t know the answer to the latter, I will still try to answer the former. I believe a good graphic designer is one who takes pride in the importance of their job. Someone who takes their projects seriously, but has enough quirkiness and originality that their work shows a part of them as an artist, as well as meeting the needs of the employer.

13. Profile photo of bg108420 bg108420 says:

My understanding of graphic design was strongly oriented toward “image-based design” and the idea that an image was worth a thousand words. However, after reading this article the role typography plays in graphic design seems to have expanded. As mentioned in the article, every day we come in contact with graphic design, yet we tend to ignore or forget how significant the presentation of these products, billboards and magazines are. The details put in to the design and layout of a product is often a deciding factor at the time of purchase. Because the way a text is presented can increase or decrease the appeal of a product I have developed a new appreciation toward “type-based design”.

My question to the author is related to the impact technology has on communication. Has technology diminished the usefulness and/or effectiveness of print? As technology advances and becomes more available and affordable to the public, the focus toward online advertising and email communications has greatly increased. However, there are still older generations that are very much loyal to printed media. As efficient and convenient as it is to read a book or a magazine on your phone or electronic reader, many still prefer and enjoy reading an actual book. Despite the advantages of technology, print still has a vast usefulness and popularity.

14. Profile photo of ql139021 ql139021 says:

The article corrects my misunderstanding about graphic design. I always thought graphic design was only a way to express people’s feelings and ideas. However, I never thought about graphic design plays a very important role in communication with other people. I start to rethink what is graphic design, and try to understand this visual communication. Honestly, we can see lots of creative graphic designs in the New York City, such as subway’s advertisement, our textbook, newspapers, magazines, flyers, stores’ decoration etc. These graphic designs catch my eyes immediately. Now I begin to think about their structure, image, type, symbol, color detail and its association.
    I’d like to ask the author, “What’s a good graphic design? And how to determine it?”. Everyone comes from different backgrounds and they experience and see things differently. I think it is extremely hard to give graphic designs a grade, because art doesn’t like math there is no correct answer.

15. The article I just read explains what graphic design is in a concise and clear manner, which made it easy to read and understand. It also covers the main tools of graphic design and different combinations of and necessary balance between those tools. I never really thought of it as classification of tools before. Now Im thinking, while individual creativity and original vision is highly important, a graphic designer does need to work in tight cooperation with the marketing researches, illustrators, photographers in order to present the client’s idea successfully. Seems like anyone considering becoming a professional designer would benefit from learning standard tools at their disposal, established guidelines of presenting information to a target audience, maybe even some knowledge of psychology and certainly good communication skills to be able to productively work with the rest of the team and make sure he/she fully understands the message that the client wants to convey.

My question: how challenging would it be for a graphic designer to create an appealing advertisement poster/logo/etc. for a foreign company/domestic company expanding abroad, targeting audience belonging to another culture? I’d like to hear an expert opinion. My answer would be – rather challenging. Graphic design relies a lot on symbolism, shared knowledge, a certain mental picture of the world, if you will, shared by the people living in the same country (region, union of the countries), speaking the same language. That’s why I think it is not impossible of course, but probably more difficult (and at the same time interesting!) to create a successful graphic-based campaign targeting audience outside of the designer’s own culture. It would definitely take more research and consulting.

16. Profile photo of shan.wu shan.wu says:

There’s a saying that good design is powerful, great design is invisible. This was a typographic poster and notice there is no and between the two clauses. There is no “and” between powerful and great because that would throw off the simple repetitive imagery of “good design…” and “great design…”
    That is a great illustration of the message, that great design is like great writing, it is short, simple and delivers a message. Like the article says, the designer is the link between the client and the audience and like a good piece of copy, the design is there to create understanding.

I want to ask the designer how she would categorize designs into typographic/image based. There is a very thin line between the two and most designs, if not all, utilizes both. Is there any benefit to separate the two?

17. What this article made me think of was just how important graphic design is to marketing and consumer behavior. The images, words, or a combination of the two send a message to the buyer. It can influence emotion, understanding, and desire, and lead to overall sale of a product. Graphic designers can really play to the psychology of a person with simply art.
    If I could pose a question to the author, it would probably be why is graphic design so useful with trying to convey a message to a person? The answer is probably that we, as humans, are very visual people. We readily respond to what we see, and are highly influenced by it.

18. Profile photo of Hui J Dong Hui J Dong says:

This article explain how graphic designs are portray in different categories. It’s all round our daily life, from the logo on Starbucks coffee to the big poster on the billboard. It’s very fastinating to understand a message is transport or communicate through jus a simple slogan, picture, or logo. It’s very important strategy for all businesses to create their own image representing their goods and services.Either it’s from the advertisement on newspaper to television, promoting and communication with combination of art and technology just make the business to customer relationship closer and closer. Also, details like the font or size of wording can be so little but yet with some adjustment it can portray a very significant change.
    My question to the author is “which one is better in your own opinion for an advertisement? a more abstract art piece or more define piece?”
    Abstract artwork make the audiences think and solve the puzzle but however sometimes it will pull the audience away from misunderstanding or hard to interpret.
    Define pieces sometime are lack of entertainment and straightforward that it just provide a glance of interest and easy to be memorize. However, it can play a right to the point function in an advertisement especially for trespasser.

19. Profile photo of Elaine Ng Elaine Ng says:

The first thing that came up to my mind after reading this article was, “wow graphic design involves a lot of work”. I believe that graphic design not only involves a lot of work but it also involves a lot of creativity and determination. Even though it involves a lot of work, I think that it can and is a very fun thing to do. This article also made me think of the many kinds of typefaces and designs around me. It is everywhere!

My question to this author is: how can a designer know what kind of logo or typography is good for a company. My answer would be, “research is key”. According to the article, designers create, choose, and organize elements such as typography, images, and the “white-space” to provide a message for the audience. To do so, designers have to do a lot of research and organize things with their client and other specialists.