Field Fellow Spotlight

15577563_1360355400643585_1271382702_nKseniya Kosmina, Social Media Intern

Age: 21 
Major: Marketing, with a double minor in Graphic Design and Communication Studies
Graduation date (if applicable): June 2017
Favorite company to follow on social media: The Skimm. It’s a startup that emails a quick skim of the most important news every morning. Their business has expanded tremendously over the past few years and is very successful. Their social media and daily morning emails are super fun and informative. I always laugh and find useful info on their platforms. I got several of my friends to connect and follow The Skimm because they’re great at creating an online community and driving engagement. They’re a good example of making a solid idea work really hard for you.
Favorite things: I love writing and everything related to Nature. I run and hike. Winter is here so I ice skate. Staying active helps my chaotic mind to relax, slow down and de-clutter, so I use every available moment to enjoy my time outside.
Favorite thing to watch: I prefer to read, but something that I watched recently would highly recommend is Outlander, an American-British TV series that blew my mind from the first episode. It’s three seasons of thrilling historic adventure that I can re-watch and find something new and fascinating every time, which is a sign of a great piece of work.
When were you a Field Fellow? I started in November 2016 and will stay with the team until I graduate in June 2017.
What does entrepreneurship mean to you? Being an entrepreneur means being courageous while overcoming a multitude of unexpected challenges that make you question your dedication and faith in yourself and your idea. Giving up is not an option, unless it is part of a strategic plan that will help you reach a better place.
What do you now as a Field Fellow? I am a Marketing Communications fellow and I am responsible for promoting the Field Center and informing the Baruch COmmunity about professional development opportunities on campus and in the city.
What do you like about working at the Field Center? I enjoy the inviting, stimulating atmosphere and the feeling of being part of a close community. Everyone at the Field Center is always smiling or talking or both, so it’s easy to connect with people, which has always been important for me.
Do you have/plan on creating your own business? Not in the foreseeable future. Being an entrepreneur takes a special mindset: trusting your instincts, being quick on your feet and capable of realizing, seizing and creating opportunities where there were none – which is not part of my strengths at the moment. I have a lot of respect for and am mesmerized by entrepreneurs and the process of creating something from the ground up, so one day I would like to get a more immersive experience – perhaps by co-founding and helping to lead a nonprofit organization.

megan

Megan Guard, Content Creator Intern

Age:23

Major/Background/Occupation outside of the Field Center (if applicable): Journalism
Graduation date (if applicable): 2017
Favorite company to follow on social media:The New York Times and VICE.
Favorite things: I love to read, write, or hike new trails.
Favorite thing to watch: I just finished watching an amazing first season of Stranger Things, but I’m dedicated to The Walking Dead.
When were you a Field Fellow?: August 2016 – Present
What does entrepreneurship mean to you?: It means overcoming all obstacles and risks to achieve your ultimate goal.
What do you do now as a field fellow?: I am a Content Creator.
What do you like about working at the Field Center?: I enjoy attaining a world of knowledge in business that is otherwise not available in Journalism.
Do you have/plan on creating your own business?: Possibly in the future, I haven’t thought of my own business in complete fruition as of yet.

leo headshot

Leo F. Zhang, former Business Consulting Intern

After serving as a Field Fellow for six months, Leo was promoted to the role of Program Coordinator at the Field Center.

Major: MBA in Management & Finance. I also have experience working with Fortune 500 firms and later as a partner while involved in startups. Currently an adjunct lecturer and also becoming more involved with the Field Center.
Graduation date: 5/27/2016
Favorite company to follow on social media: Any company with an empowered team, ethically conscious, provides value-added product/service that’s clearly distinctive from its competitors, long term focused. 

Favorite things:  Getting lost in nature, traveling and immersing in different cultures, being inspired and striving to inspire others, karaoke and making a fool out of myself
Favorite thing to watch: Anything comedic, inspiring, documentaries of interesting people
Quirky fact about you: My friends are very diverse in terms of ethnicity, profession, geographic location, age (from the curious 5 year olds that know no boundaries to mentor friends that have tried their hands in just about everything and still continue to learn in their 80’s).

When were you a Field Fellow?: November 2015 during MBA program
What do you do now as a Field Fellow?: Similar to analyzing case studies in my MBA courses but this time I’m engaging with entrepreneurs in real time and helping to resolve their business challenges together.  

What do you like about working at the Field Center?: Learning and engaging with both the accomplished Baruch faculty professors and the clients we serve.
Do you have/plan on creating your own business?: Why wouldn’t I?

quinn

Quinn LV McDonald, Graphic Design Intern

Major: Graphic Design at Parsons School of Design
Graduation date: May 2016
Favorite company to follow on social media:  On Instagram it’s between these three: @Complex @Highsnobiety @Hypebeast
Favorite things: Music, art, tech & fashion
Favorite thing to watch: If we are talking about TV, How To Get Away With Murder is it!!!!
Quirky fact about you: My love for music, art, tech & fashion is what lead me to start my vlog channel, “The Q District” back in 2013.
When were you a Field Fellow? I started in November 2015.
What do you do now as a Field Fellow?:  I create print / web designs, marketing materials and other multimedia visuals for the Field Center.
What do you like about working at the Field Center? The Feng Shui, everyone is so pleasant and easy to talk to.
Do you have/plan on creating your own business? I do have a few ideas, but when will they come to fruition? who knows? Right now I just write them down, research and build on them to hopefully create something iconic someday.

Ada Huang

Ada Huang, former Data Analyst Intern

Major: Information Systems
Graduation date: Spring 2016
Favorite company to follow on social media: I don’t follow much on social media. But I do keep up with current events through Bloomberg and the Skimm.
Favorite things: Sushi, pizza, nature, hiking, and cats. Meow.
Favorite thing to watch: Friends! My all time favorite show.. I think I’m currently on my fourth re-run.
Quirky fact about you:I love to make puns and corny jokes – they’re amazing.
When were you a Field Fellow? I started as a Field Fellow in August 2015
What do you do now as a Field Fellow?: I’m a Data Analyst Intern
What do you like about working at the Field Center? Everyone is very friendly and there’s always something interesting happening at the Field Center.
Do you have/plan on creating your own business? Probably not. I don’t mind the idea of working for someone.

Iris-photo

Iris Kim, former MakerHub Intern

Age: 19
Major: Marketing Management
Graduation date: 2017
Favorite companies to follow on social media: The New Yorker, Another Mag, Collaborative Fund, The School of Life, National Geographic, Opening Ceremony, Snarkitecture
Favorite things: dogs, print and digital publications about art, culture and music, Chances with Wolves, Xavier Dolan’s movies, Brain Pickings, philosophy
Favorite thing to watch: 500 Days of Summer
Quirky fact about you: I am an international student from Kazakhstan and my first language is Russian.
When were you a Field Fellow? Fall 2015
What do you do now as a field fellow? I support MakerHub Competition and conduct research to make recommendations around the use of technology in the classroom environment.
What do you like about working at the Field Center? I like the idea of empowering students to learn technology no matter what their studies are related to.
Do you have/plan on creating your own business? If I were to open a business, it would be in the area of social entrepreneurship.

pic of adrian

Adrian Rodriguez, former Maker Hub Ambassador Intern

Age: 20
Major: Corporate Communications
Graduation date: expected May 2016
Favorite things: I haven’t traveled much but I want to,  writing and I’m a huge sports fan – baseball, soccer, basketball.
Facts: I lived in Puerto Rico for a year and attended the 5th grade. Recently, I started teaching myself the guitar and I’m getting pretty good. I am a brother of Phi Iota Alpha fraternity and through my organization I’ve learned so much and  developed a huge respect and understanding for the history of our roots.
When were you a Field Fellow? I’ve only been a fellow for a few months but it’s amazing, the whole team has welcomed me in since day one and have made me feel like a part of the family at the Field Center.
What have you gained from your position? An opportunity to be around a lot of very intelligent and talented people in an environment where I’ve been granted an opportunity to work on a very exciting project that can hopefully change the landscape at Baruch in a positive way.
What do you do now? I’m the MakerHub ambassador, which entails marketing our program and reaching out to the Baruch community as a whole to share the experience, but also maybe create a new experience at Baruch.

kindra

Kindra Cooper, former Content Creator Intern

After serving as a Field Fellow for three months, Kindra was promoted to the role of Community Coordinator at the Field Center. 

Age: 23
Major: Political Economics and Multimedia Journalism
Graduation date: June 2018
Favorite company(s) to follow on social media: None! I don’t want anyone to sell me anything on social media.
Favorite Things: just-right coffee, falling headfirst into a book, swimming, badminton, interviewing someone awesome, being surrounded by trees, and reconnecting with old friends. Oh, and the TV show Last Man on Earth! Great existential food-for-thought.
Quirky fact about you: I grew up in Indonesia – tropical paradise with the world’s worst traffic. I was invited to audition for several TV soaps there but didn’t make it because I couldn’t make myself cry on cue. Oh, well!
When were you a Field Fellow? July 2015 – the present.
What do you do now? I am the content creator intern at the Field Center and a freelance journalist for web and print.
Do you have/plan on creating your own business? Honestly? The idea terrifies me. I like having a boss and being told what to do – up to a point!

gab

Gabriela Calogero, former Social Media Intern

Age: 22
Major: Marketing
Graduation Date: December 2015
Favorite company(s) to follow on social media: AdWeek, Entrepreneur, FindSpark, and Business Insider
Favorite Things: Food!! I am such a big foodie! Traveling, surfing (even though I’m a beginner), boxing, DIY projects, and competitions!
Favorite thing to watch: Mad Men was my favorite show. Since the show finished, I haven’t been watching tv. I feel a sense of freedom not having to be stuck in front of the tube for 6 hours a day.
Quirky fact about you: I like to repurpose things you wouldn’t think of using for projects. Recently, I made clutches out of sunglass containers.
When were you a Field Fellow? From March 2015-July 2015
What do you do now? I am a PPC Analyst at Acronym
Do you have/plan on creating your own business? I would like to create a business in the future, but I am not exactly sure in what. I want to be able to solve a problem no one has yet to solve.

Michelle

Michelle Sheu, former MakerHub Ambassador Intern

Name: Michelle Sheu
Age: 19
Major: CUNY B.A. in Transmedia Storytelling
Minors: Spanish & Psychology
Graduation Date: May 2018
Favorite company(s) to follow on social media: Etsy, TED Talks and blogs like Gothamist, Brokelyn and NYMag
Favorite Things: Wes Anderson films, crispy bacon, MoMA PS1, A Tribe Called Quest, & 24/7 Burger King joints
Quirky fact about you: I have made it my priority to memorize Nicki Minaj’s flow from “Monster”
When were you a Field Fellow?: I am currently an undergraduate Field Fellow for Summer 2015 working on the Makerspace initiative
What do you do now? I am currently pursuing my Bachelor’s degree at Baruch while interning here at the Field Center in support of the Makerspace initiative
Do you have/plan on creating your own business? Perhaps one day manage my own startup, invent the next biggest thing or direct my own rap music video — not necessarily in that order

10945015_917714918285249_728155253417731934_n Lissenellys Valdez, former Field Fellow

Age: 27
Major: Computer Information Systems
Graduation Date: December 2014
Favorite company(s) to follow on social media: 3D MakerBot
Favorite Things: Long distance travel and read many motivational and inspiring books
Quirky fact about you: Unpredictable mindset
When were you a Field Fellow? As a Field Fellow I began to Coordinate the Field Center & CUNY IVE ’s Technology in October 2012
What do you do now? I still have yet to learn and discover the many things the world and humanity has to offer
Do you have/plan on creating your own business? Yes, after realizing that I have a strong background of an entrepreneur family I must join the circle

Bryan  Britt, MakerHub Research Internbryan field fellow friday

Age: 27
Major: Graphic Communications, Minor: Environmental Sustainability
Graduation Date: Spring 2016
Favorite company(s) to follow on social media: I LOVE following National Geographic. I’m really into traveling, so it helps me with the places and actives I want to experience. I’m intrigued by the people on our planet, and National Geographic really fulfills this fascination. I like to follow whatever Elon Musk is doing, because he’s changing the world.
Favorite Things: Being born in Brooklyn, bike riding, hockey, food, traveling, long walks on the beach in the sunset, anything Italian, fashion, near death experiences, 3D printing, photography, staying in deep thought for long periods of time, chocolate, creating sculptures, pizza, Jordan 1’s, looking at poorly designed ads on the train, candy, Motown music, going upstate, throwing rocks in water, breaking glass, having a great conversation with someone, spending time with my grandparents, gelato, Allsaints, and acquiring more knowledge to deepen myself as person.
Quirky fact about you: So complex I’m simple, so simple I’m complex.
When were you a Field Fellow? I became a Field Fellow February of 2015
What do you do now?  I am currently a student at Baruch, and I am the Maker Hub research intern here at The Lawrence N. Field Center for Entrepreneurship.
Do you have/plan on creating your own business?  I’m not really focused on creating a business, I’m more interested in branding myself and creating an identity. Ideally, I want to create experiences that impact people and I want to be known for that; whether they love it or hate it, I want people to feel something.

11215879_906337659422975_1360434070942157570_nAlexandra Perez, Receptionist and Jr. Graphic Designer

Age: 22
Major: Communications with a specialization on Graphic Communications, Minor: New Media
Graduation Date: Fall 2016
Favorite company(s) to follow on social media: Apple
Favorite Things: I love photography, to bake, to drive and travel.
Quirky fact about you: I listen, think, and apply.
When were you a Field Fellow? September 2014
What do you do now?  I am a full time student and work at the field center as well as the new media space at the Baruch college. I also do photo shoots and web designs for my company Chrialebry Inc.
Do you have/plan on creating your own business? I have my own business name Chrialebry Inc. We provide services of data bases and webdesigns for new/existing businesses. We also have an online magazine called Chrialebry Magazine for young artists who want to publish their work out there that is                                                                                       based on art or fashion.

roseyRosey Saporiwala, former Business Consulting Intern

Age: 27
Major: Entrepreneurship & Finance
Graduation Date: Jan 2016
Favorite company(s) to follow on social media: I follow a lot of hotel brands: Marriott, Best Western, Hilton, Starwood, Wyndham.
Favorite Things: Food! I love cooking and going to new restaurants and trying food from different cultures. I also love to travel.
Favorite thing to watch: I like comedies, crime-solving, and legal shows.
Quirky fact about you: I grew up in the business, I was making hotel reservations for guests at the age 5 at my parent’s hotel.
When were you a Field Fellow? Spring 2015
What do you do now? I manage my family’s portfolio of hotels.
Do you have/plan on creating your own business? I have this dream of creating a green/zero footprint hotel. But until then, I’m working on increasing the family portfolio to include more hotels or other businesses.

Anelisa

Anelisa Lauri, former Business Consulting Intern

Age: No comment! Just kidding – 34.
Major: Management/Entrepreneurship
Graduation Date: May 2012
Favorite company(s) to follow on social media: NY Times, Forbes, Fast Company, PBS, WSJ, Nat Geo
Favorite Things: Traveling, the beach, eating great chocolate, dancing
Favorite thing to watch: Game of Thrones
Quirky fact about you: went skydiving for 30th birthday- I’m afraid of heights!
When were you a Field Fellow? Fall 2011
What do you do now? Director of Programming for the CUNY CSE Incubator
Do you have/plan on creating your own business? Yes, in the chocolate industry.

photo(3)Jarlyne Batista, former Graphic Communications Coordinator

Age: 24
Major: Entrepreneurship, Minor: Graphic Communications
Graduation Date: Feb 2014
Favorite company(s) to follow on social media: I do not really follow a lot of companies on social media, but there’s Etsy, Tumblr, Pinterest, and Nat Geo. In general I like to follow creative accounts.
Favorite Things:  Anything artsy and creative. I enjoy going to open mics and being in that type of environment. I also like to make things like jewelry, home décor items, art, etc. (I guess you can say I’m a craftster).
Favorite thing to watch: My favorite show at the moment (well until next season) is The walking Dead. My favorite channel is Nat Geo
Quirky fact about you: I went through a phase where I collected (also painted some) vinyl toys (Check out kidrobot and you will see some examples). Now I have a huge bin of them at home.
When were you a Field Fellow?  July 2013-Feb 2014
What do you do now?  I’m the Graphic Communications Coordinator at the Field Center. I create graphic designs for presentations, marketing materials and the website as well. We like to joke around in the office and say that my job is to make everything “pretty.” I also freelance during my free time.
Do you have/plan on creating your own business? If so, tell me about it. Yes, I have something in the works, it’s in its very early stages of development. All I can say about it right now is that the main goal is to bring people together to create and grow together.

Be Sociable, Share!