“If you ask me I’m ready”

[kml_flashembed movie="http://www.youtube.com/v/HhuGQUZJot8" width="425" height="350" wmode="transparent" /]

This video of the song “Unthinkable” by Alicia Keys clearly demonstrates an interracial relationship between two young people. Interracial marriage in the united states was illegal starting in the colonial period. The Loving v. Virginia 1967 case declared the Racial Integrity Act of 1924 which made marriage between a black person and a white person a felony, unconstitutional. This song is completely different from the previous one I posted because they deal with two different historical issues.

In the song Alicia keys says “I was wondering maybe Could I make you my baby If we do the unthinkable would it make us look crazy If you ask me I’m ready”. Even though she does not clearly demonstrate the relationship and her friends and family are opposed to it, she is free to choose the person she wants to be with. It may be crazy or unthinkable to some people but not to her. She is free to do as she pleases.

Avatar of yindeli.guzman

About yg089586

5081190214526840
This entry was posted in November 30 Assignment, TV24 and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to “If you ask me I’m ready”

1. Avatar of xuran tan xuran tan says:

Alicia keys is all for uplifting women. This notion of “uplifting women” definitely funneled into modern music from the 60’s. For instance, Lesley Gore, a singer from the 60’s sung “you don’t own me”. The theme of that song revolved around women’s liberation. Furthermore, the concept of Keys video is remarkable and a good fit for the lyrics. The time frame starts from the 50’s and ends in the present. As well, In 2006 Keys won the NAACP image awards for “unbreakable”. In this specific song, I think keys portrays the independence of women, while the 60’s focused mostly on anti-war movement, civil rights freedom and protest. I feel like “unbreakable” depicted vividly the independence of women through the view of interracial marriage, this is also a brand new element because interracial marriage has rise since changes in the legal status.