Note To Self: Trust Your Gut

As a writer, I always hesitate at the beginning of every assignment. I become overwhelmed with what the instructions entail. I always want to make sure that every aspect is fulfilled, and I can execute it in the best way possible. This one was different. With the amount of freedom that I was given with this assignment, I was able to unpack all aspects of my topic that I wanted, and I am extremely proud of how I did it all, that is…I’m not done yet.  

Cryptocurrency was something that I was always fascinated about but never had a reason to go in depth with the research to know more about it. The topic can be overwhelming because there is so much to it. For this reason, I was unable to figure out what I wanted to “zero-in” on. I set up a meeting for office hours with Professor Muhlbauer. At first, I thought to just discuss the negative aspects of cryptocurrency, but I knew that my paper would not be as compelling as I would want it to be. Thanks to his advice and abundance of information that he offered I got the idea to focus on Libra and the possible future with it. I knew that I could go forward with this topic and make the paper riveting for others to read. Before writing my first draft, I took the initiative to write out an outline. Learning from previous assignments in this semester, I have realized the benefits to an outline, and I can even say that I swear by them at this point! Thanks to this, writing my first draft was easier than I had anticipated. After our first peer review session during class, I got new ideas about my paper and topic that I could possibly incorporate.  

I am always grateful for new perspectives and propositions especially when writing papers like these. During peer review, my group and I were discussing different things that we could all work onIgballe and Shivani mentioned to me that going more in depth within some parts of my paper would be necessary to avoid confusion to the reader as well as shed more light on the points that I am making. I knew that this is in fact very true because as I was writing, I had moments where I was debating on whether I should expand more. I knew in my gut that should, but I decided to take the easy way out and state a sentence or two on the topic and then move on. I had also gotten the idea to include a rebuttal within my paper. A rebuttal makes any points stronger if you can refute it. I decided not to include one; not because I can’t refute it but, because to some extent I have included one indirectly within my arguments.  

As I was editing my draft I decided to expand on Facebook’s deceit and scandals to discredit them. Note to self: trust your gut because usually its right. I knew that I should have expanded from the start. After doing so, I even felt more “complete” when I finished writing that section of my paper. It made my argument more powerful because discrediting Facebook itself would provide more emphasis on my claim of Libra being unreliable for the future. Another aspect of my essay that I wanted to focus on were my beginning paragraphs. I wanted to provide some context for my reader about cryptocurrency. I knew I want to know at least the basics of it to understand the rest of the paper. However, I felt that I was spending too much time explaining and introducing the topic, so I decided to trust my gut and cut down on some ideas that I felt were not necessaryAfter having finished this, I became more confident with my introductory paragraphs which helped me gain more confidence throughout my editing and writing process overall.  

As always, I am nowhere near finished even after I have submitted this paper. Going forward, I am excited to hearing more ideas in this next peer review session. I hope to gain some insight on any other approaches that I can make towards my paper to perfect it to the best of my abilities. More than anything, I know now to trust my gut the most and listen to what I think should be done!