Peer Review Letter

The revision process for my narrative was difficult. There was a lot of work that needed to be done on my essay. Almost everything that I fixed was based from my peers’ comments during peer review. Their suggestions were really helpful while I was revising my essay. Sometimes, you need someone else’s perspective to seek out weaknesses in our writing. When the writing is about ourselves, we tend to leave out specific details because we know the full story. We fail to realize that the person reading does not know who we are and what we have been through. Having someone else look at our writing helps us recognize where we need to include details so that someone who does not know about our topic in our essay will have a much better understanding of what we are talking about.

Based on what my peers wrote, my issue was tying back things to the central idea. I needed to add a paragraph that included a memory for the style of dancing that connects back to my heritage and how I became more connected with my Indian culture. So I decided to add a paragraph that talked about doing a traditional dance rather than a more modern style of dance.  In addition to that, I need to make some of the conventions mentioned in my essay clearer as well as including more that relates to the traditional aspect. I needed to include more of my own thoughts and feelings in my narrative. I mostly recited what happened during each memory but never touched upon how I felt.

No matter how many revisions I make to my writing, it will never be perfect. There will always be something for me to improve on. But receiving constructive criticism on my essays will provide insight on how to make my writing better.

-Shivani Ramdyal

One thought on “Peer Review Letter

1. I like that you think of your work as imperfect and constantly growing, that leaves so much room for improving. I relate to how you felt about hearing from peers. My group helped me realize all the things my paper was missing too. I also had to include some context for my reader.