RefAnnBib 2 – Celebrity Worship and its Negative Consequences

Zsila, Ágnes, et al. “The Association of Celebrity Worship with Problematic Internet Use, Maladaptive Daydreaming, and Desire for Fame.” Journal of Behavioral Addictions, Akadémiai Kiadó, 1 Sept. 2018, www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6426373/.

The author of this article, Dr. Zsolt Demetrovics is a clinical psychologist and cultural anthropologist. He has written and taken part in conducting dozens of studies relating to psychology and its relationship to celebrity worship and social media usage. Over his career he has shown links between an excess use of social media to psychological disorders. He is director of the Institute of Psychology at the Eötvös Loránd University, Budapest, Hungary and head of the Department of Clinical Psychology & Addiction at the same Institute (Orcid). Lynn E. McCutcheon is the head of the North American Journal of Psychology.

The authors and editors of this academic article seem credible. Based on their level of study and achievement in the field, I would deem this a reliable and trustworthy source of information. The article analyzes studies done in the last 20 years and ongoing research in the field. It describes each study in detail and shows the correlation between celebrity worship and negative mental health consequences.

This article builds upon my last RefAnnBib with a tone more focused on celebrity worshipping and its link to problematic internet use, maladaptive daydreaming, and desire for fame. These all co-align with what I plan to write about. The article cites a handful of proven studies that display the correlation between social media and people who worship celebrities. There are psychological elements presented in this article that I believe will be valuable to me. The article displays a positive link between people who worship celebrities and their declining mental health. Based on this source and the studies that are presented within it, there is a clear connection between people who worship celebrities and people with mental health issues. In addition, to people with an unhealthy desire for fame, to change their body and an unsafe amount of internet usage.

• “A positive relationship was found between celebrity worship, problematic Internet use, maladaptive daydreaming, and desire for fame.”
  • “The results of this study revealed a positive relationship between problematic Internet use and celebrity worship, whereas the amount of time spent online was not associated with celebrity worship.”
  • “Furthermore, a positive relationship was found between celebrity worship and desire for fame, indicating that those who find celebrities’ lifestyles appealing to them and wish to be recognized have a higher tendency to worship celebrities.”
  • “In relation to psychological correlates, a positive relationship was found between celebrity worship, maladaptive daydreaming, and desire for fame.”

4 thoughts on “RefAnnBib 2 – Celebrity Worship and its Negative Consequences

1. Hey Rob! I think this was a great leap forward in finding evidence to support your thesis, I feel that research studies are usually seen as credible and reliable. Although scientific studies are typically conducted to potentially answer their hypothesis, it’s also provides new information for the general public which can be used to support claim(s) like yours. I’ve also heard of this condition called “celebrity worship syndrome.” Its name is self-explanatory, and I’m unsure if it’s a noted condition in the DSM – 5 (The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders) being that it’s become more common since around the 2010s and into 2020. But I’ve read some threads on Reddit about it and I think it can give you some more examples of how people in our generation have stanned such celebrities to the point where it’s become such a major part in their daily lives.

2. I think this is a great topic to write about, and a great source to reference from. Celebrity worship has become very popular relatively recently, so I’m sure there are many research studies before it. Perhaps you can narrow your research by focusing on certain celebrities, like the ones that are the most worshipped, or how people who worship celebrities made it such a practice in their lives.

3. Hey! I think that your topic is really engaging for the fact that I’m almost sure we can all relate to it in one way or another. The article that you researched for your RefAnnBib can be extremely helpful to your writing process and is something that you can reference to make your argument more clear to your readers. This goes for any studies that were done pertaining celebrity worship and their negative consequences in aspects such as mental health and their statistics, which I believe will really highlight the importance of this issue. This will make your argument more credible and I think that it will hold a great impact on your readers.