Second RefAnnBib Entry

Part 1:

Kisida Brian, Daniel H. Bowen.  “New Evidence of the Benefits of Arts Education”. Brookings. 12 Feb. 2019.

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/brown-center-chalkboard/2019/02/12/new-evidence-of-the-benefits-of-arts-education/

Part 2:

The authors of this article are Brian Kisid and Daniel H. Bowen. Kisid is a, who is an assistant professor at the University of Missouri Truman School of Public Affairs. He does a lot of research based around educational options and experiences as well as the achievement, experience, and attainment gap. Bowen is an assistant professor at Texas A&M University for educational administration and human resource development. He does research on student education and the availability of arts education experiences. This article is published in the online research group, Brookings, which was founded in 1916 as an outlet to publish research articles. I chose to look at this article because it discusses a lot of findings of the benefits that an arts education may have on students. In my paper I want to discuss the importance of public school funding for arts education, which including statistical benefits, which this article brings up, can help me with.

Part 3:

The primary claim of the two authors is that, “engaging with art is essential to the human experience.” They later look into this statement through the perspective of students receiving arts education and the effects that it has on them. By doing this, the authors use statistics of benefits that the arts has had on many students, such as the rates of disciplinary infractions, tests scores, and compassion towards others. Through these findings, the authors come to the conclusion that the arts in public schools hold a value in academic and social development.

Part 4:

I agree with the stance that the authors take that arts classes should be more readily available to students. I believe that the statistics and findings that are included throughout the article are helpful towards building a stance towards the question of arts funding and reveal the importance of this question. The research included in this article makes me wonder if there are in fact any negative arguments to why core class funding should be prioritized over arts funding in schools. With all of this information being displayed, the question of why is there still a question in how funding should be distributed and why is less funding allocated towards arts programs when studies show that they have positive effects on students and their developments still lingers in my mind and is something that I would like further look into.

Part 5:

• “Relative to students assigned to the control group, treatment school students experienced a 3.6 percentage point reduction in disciplinary infractions, an improvement of 13 percent of a standard deviation in standardized writing scores, and an increase of 8 percent of a standard deviation in their compassion for others. In terms of our measure of compassion for others, students who received more arts education experiences are more interested in how other people feel and more likely to want to help people who are treated badly.”
  • “There are strong reasons to suspect that engagement in arts education can improve school climate, empower students with a sense of purpose and ownership, and enhance mutual respect for their teachers and peers.”
  • “Moreover, the most promising outcomes associated with arts education learning objectives extend beyond commonly reported outcomes such as math and reading test scores.”
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

One thought on “Second RefAnnBib Entry

1. Hey Julia! I find the topic of your paper really interesting and brings one to really think why the situation is so. I think that the article you chose to annotate really offers a lot to your paper and I think that statistics will hold a lot of value to you throughout your writing process. I don’t know if you have already looked at different perspectives but you should acknowledge both sides of this situation. I think it would be interesting to find articles or interviews with people who establish the funding and find out their reasoning for not allocating as much money towards arts programs. In this way, you can dispute their arguments with event his article and more facts. I think that the specificity of your topic is also good and if anything you can expand on the benefits and “zero-in” on one general benefit of the arts programs. For example, if the arts programs allows for one to gain some kind of change in personality or in general just confidence; you can make a point that with the confidence gained there has been an incline in student participation within the classroom as well. I’m just going off on tangents but you can go into specificity about how the arts program can be connected to the classroom, if not directly then indirectly but it’s still connected which is why funding towards the programs should be essential.