Exorcism

After watching The Exorcist and today’s discussion I thought it might be appropriate to post a video I found on youtube about real life exorcisms that take place.

[kml_flashembed movie="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ms2Tu-4AHL8" width="425" height="350" wmode="transparent" /]

I was a little freaked out when I first watched the clip and did not realize that exorcisms were really still performed these days.  I think that the freakyness and curiosity that is associated with exorcisms and demonic possessions in general is one of the reason that The Exorcist is so popular to begin with.  We touched upon it in class a little bit today but I just wanted to bring up the reasons why a person would find a movie scary.  There are actually a variety of reasons but one of the main ones for me is that I find some kind of personal connection to the film or the situation/setting is realistic enough for me to suspend my disbelief and really allow myself to become scared.  Granted, I did not find this film to be one of the scariest I’ve seen.  The most it did was freak me out at some parts, mostly the possession parts but I can see why when it came out it was thought of as something completely new and terrifying and why this film has continued to remain popular so many years after its release.

I feel that exorcism is general is something that is a very touchy topic for people because of its place in religion.  This is not something that is thought of as so mythological or fake such as zombies or monsters, but is a real world threat and I feel that is what is so scary about a film like The Exorcist.  The clip I posted above shows a woman who believes herself to be possessed, undergoing exorcism to try and remove the demon.  It’s almost crazy to watch this woman as they try to exorcise the demon from her.  It seems a little ridiculous to someone like myself, who doesn’t really believe in the idea of the devil.  But for so many people, this exists as part of their belief systems and I can see why a movie about demonic possession would strike many people as very frightening.  I am still uneasy with the idea and may have been more scared by the film had the cinematography and production been a little bit scary, because I think just the idea of it is enough to cause anxiety.

In case anyone is interested there are more clips up on youtube about real-life exorcisms taking place.

4 thoughts on “Exorcism

1. i don’t know why i strayed away from my paper to watch this…excuse my language buy I feel this is complete bull. it’s like what the Philip Almond guy said, “the religious tradition itself creates the condition of demonic possession…fortunately it also provides the cure.” I feel like the Church creates the condition and conveniently they can also cure it…solidifying their hold on it’s followers even more. Just recently a girl from Guyana died after on of these exorcisms (http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hWAiZO1EflNUBKtrDjUrDwtQBRvAD9ER6JUO0). The problem is that, especially in countries that have a strong tie to religion and beliefs, misdiagnoses (i dont even know if i spelled that right) are causing people to think these is a demonic possession at hand when in reality it could be something else. Look at the video…they believe that burping, yawning, and vomiting are times when the body is expelling the demon…now think about it, that woman has been crying, screaming, yelling, laughing, fighting….everything you’re gonna tell me that it couldn’t possibly be because she is soo damn tired of everything she has been doing. Belching is obviously when we take in too much air and well burp it out, we burp more often when we drink carbonated drink because of the gases but we can also burp with regular ole’ oxygen (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/gas-and-gas-pains/DG00014). With all that screaming and yelling I wouldn’t be surprised if she took in too much air. She yawns because she is tired…and she vomits and is sick because of the amount of energy and force she is applying to her body. She could have made herself sick with all that nonsense. So jea I am sorry if I offend someone, if someone truly believes this stuff, it’s cool, I just personally don’t think it worth the time and I really think that there are explanations to these things, to these occurrences. If people never read the Bible and heard about demonic possessions would they still be considered demonic possessions? I dont know maybe if we ask an atheist we’ll get a different answer to the video above.

2. I definitely agree with you that what makes it frightening is based on people’s beliefs. The Exorcist was scary for me the first time I watched it when I was younger, more because growing up my grandmother would tell me stories of the village where she grew up in Colombia about the devil going around and taking people’s souls. One story I remember is about a beautiful woman who was supposed to be the devil, who would use her beauty to seduce guys and take their souls. They would just disappear. When I first watched this movie I was really freak out, more because the story was fresh in my mind and this movie “reassured” me that the devil did exist and did whatever it wanted. Now that I am older, I don’t t know what to really think of these stories, because they could have been just legends I guess or stories the people made up for fun? I don’t know, but I do believe that there are evil spirits. I am not extremely religious, but I still believe. Now watching the movie again, I was not really scared, but more what Chamandeep mentioned, it created a kind of anxiety for me that it could happen. Watching this clip, I feel like it could be real, though not necessarily all of the stories out there. I am aware that some people might even fake it or do it to get attention or what not.

3. Pingback: blackpornvideos

4. Pingback: SoniBvc trades in porn