Disguised by perception

Hello everyone!

As I was reading the play, deception and disguise are clearly prevalent – it almost becomes difficult to keep track of who is acting as who! However, something interesting I noticed was that the characters of this play not only seem to disguise themselves, but also they put their own “disguises” onto other characters through their prejudices of them. The one example that stuck out to me was Katherina’s reputation of being a “curst and shrewish” woman. In fact, so much so that Hortensio says she is “renowned in Padua for her scolding tongue,” and further along mentions that he wouldn’t “wed her for a mine of gold.”  At that point of the play, Kate only appears for a brief scene, and she speaks barely enough for her to prove that she is in fact a repulsive character. In addition, we don’t get any further insight on Kate since none of the characters thus far seem to know her well at all. These prejudiced views seem to disguise Kate. This perhaps puts, not just deception, but prejudice as one of the main themes to this play.

About me101282

5081190214207136
This entry was posted in The Taming of the Shrew and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to Disguised by perception

1. PBerggren says:

Another insightful comment: how we are perceived by others affects the way we behave. The Induction prepares us for this, doesn’t it? What does the Lord assume that treating Christopher Sly as a recovering nobleman will do to Sly’s sense of self? Does Christopher Sly end up believing that he is a lord? Or is he playing along with the joke to see what he can get out of it?

2. asmit says:

I think it IS difficult to keep track of who is who during the play. I doubt I’m the only one who had to go back and make sure who exactly is doing what to get to who. You offer a really good point, Mariam. Are we sure Katherine is really the shrew she is purported to be? Everyone seems to overly exaggerate their descriptions of her. I’m not convinced. If it turns out she seems to act like a shrew, why does she? Perhaps her actions are misconstrued, or she is only acting in response to the prejudice around her and the way people treat her. It would be unfair to call her a shrew if she was only acting in response to some pretty crappy treatment.

Prof. Berggren also brings up a good point. It seems hard to believe that even though Sly is purported to be a drunkard, is he really dumb enough to believe what’s going on? I’d say no – it would make sense for him to play along. If I was in that situation, it’s probably what I’d do.

3. Hello –

As I was saying in my other post, this is a play and not intended to be interpreted like real-life (at least that’s my viewpoint), but the audience may take it in any way imaginable. As being pulled into the play and losing themselves in it, like a piece of art was meant by its creator – the artist’s purpose is to entertain the audience: I can understand how it can become a full embodied entity upon the live stage.

I think its also hard to keep track of who’s who because if I remember right, our teacher said the play was meant to be watched not read. So logically, the characters would be more easily identifiable via the visual aspect compared to being read in a text form. Also when it is acted out, the scenes come alive and the full effect of the play is to be experienced in this [intended] manner.

As for for the discussion of Katherine being a shrew like the play suggests and everyone is discussing – who knows? As it’s hard to keep track of who’s who in the play, I frankly don’t know who exactly this Katherine is. Furthermore, as I’m not an expert on this Shakespearean play either it’s hard to place her in the context of the textual adaptation of the play. Having refrained myself from using outside sources too much to make sense of this, if I understood correctly (and from our lengthy) classroom discussion, I think she is the older sister of Bianca?

In any case, maybe she acts like a shrew because of how her life is. She could be picky with men and as a woman doesn’t have much of a word in anything, so that puts her in a difficult situation of attaining self happiness vs. the imposed expectations of her from her peers, family and society. As a result, her self picture is a different one from what she intends to be or aspire to achieve.

She sees other women around her, esp. her younger sister get nice suitors – perhaps ones of quality she would like for herself and as a result she may be jealous or dissatisfied with her own life so far.

I am really sorry if I may be wrong but this is my best assumption based on my understanding and interpretation of the play so far and what is happening here in it.

Thank you.

4. PBerggren says:

It’s hard to be “wrong” about this sort of thing: you’re correct to say that Katharine is Bianca’s older sister, and we talked a bit in class about how (in the absence of their mother, who clearly died young) having to be in a responsible position may have put a burden on Kate.