“Best in Show” Movie Review

The movie, “Best in Show” was a hilarious one.  From the first scene with the couple and their dog in a therapy session, it caught my attention.  In most comedy’s, a structured plot, or even a deep insight is not common.  It just so happened in this film, there was one.  All of these competing couples and their dogs were fighting for the same thing.  The champion dog.  This accomplishment would have made any one of the competitors, ‘happy’.  It was interesting to see, a various number of couples competing with each other, even one couple, sleeping in a janitors closet, just to have the opportunity to having trained, the champion dog.

Throughout the entire movie, all of these people are fighting and competing with each other to win the competition, and ultimately, be happy.  The things they put themselves through in their pursuits of happiness is ridiculous.

But does winning something necessarily make you happy?  I think not.  I would argue, winning something brings you temporary happiness, but not life long.   Quite obviously, the owners of the champion dog were ecstatic to have owned and trained the winning pooch.  As for the dog, I’m sure they weren’t even aware of their great accomplishment.

This was a movie that not only portrayed the pursuit of happiness, but the struggle and hardships one has to go through in order to ultimately attain happiness, or in this case, the champion dog.  It wasn’t until I discovered the deep insight of this movie that I began to understand the overall theme.  Happiness comes from within you, not from your wins or losses.  Winning something brings you a temporary happiness, which is a stepping-stone to developing and attaining life long happiness.

This entry was posted in DG13E, ResponsePaper. Bookmark the permalink.