Response 6: Poetry and Digital Essay

Hello everyone! 🙂 Over break, I’ve been thinking about this project a lot..and to be honest, I’m not sure how to even tackle it. Concerning the poem I will use, I haven’t really thought of one yet. Although, I have a huge appreciation for Pablo Neruda’s poems. Neruda is such a great poet, and I would love to write and make a video on one of his poems. I have studied “Sweetness, Always” which is a great, but long poem in my opinion. I’ve also read “One Hundred Love Sonnets: XVII” which is such a lovely and straightforward poem. Most of the poems that are in the book “One Hundred Love Sonnets” are very well-written and straightforward. I think I connect with Neruda’s poems more than any other poet’s work because his poems are translated from Spanish to English, and I feel comfortable reading them in Spanish. I think there’s just something so special about reading a poem in its original content and intended language.

I wouldn’t mind working with anyone, and I have a digital camera. My thesis would most likely revolve around the idea of love if I do choose to write on one of Neruda’s poems. The idea of love can very easily relate back to happiness, as a lot of people seem to believe the two go hand in hand. If anyone is familiar with Pablo Neruda or likes the idea of “love” for their project, don’t hesitate to talk to me. Neruda has many poems, and I wouldn’t mind showing anyone a few. His writing style is beautiful and straightforward, no fancy gimmicks. O:)

Look at him, he was so cute~~

–Update:: April 26th–

Once again, I’ve been thinking about this project quiet an awful lot. While thinking about what poems I should choose, something struck me. I have always been in love with “Drummer Hodge” by Thomas Hardy and have never had to opportunity to study it. I think if I studied it for this project, I would be very happy. The poem talks about an unforgotten soldier during a war. “Drummer Hodge” is also known as Hardy’s most celebrated poem, and I think it reads beautifully. I like to read it out loud sometimes because I’m just so captivated by how it sounds.

This is the poem:

They throw in Drummer Hodge, to rest
Uncoffined – just as found:
His landmark is a kopje-crest
That breaks the veldt around;
And foreign constellations west
Each night above his mound.

Young Hodge the Drummer never knew –
Fresh from his Wessex home –
The meaning of the broad Karoo,
The Bush, the dusty loam,
And why uprose to nightly view
Strange stars amid the gloam.

Yet portion of that unknown plain
Will Hodge forever be;
His homely Northern breast and brain
Grow to some Southern tree,
And strange-eyed constellation reign
His stars eternally.

Thoughts are always welcomed. 🙂

This entry was posted in JM13D, ResponsePaper. Bookmark the permalink.