Final Paper/Project Ideas

My internet had been down a few days but while i was cruising the web at the library (yes, those still exist), i found an awesome poem by Mary Oliver called “When Death Comes”. The title seemed a little dreary but interesting at the same time. I thought this poem fit perfectly with the class theme of happiness. Her poem is basically saying that when its all over, i dont want to leave this life with no good memories; to die and have not had any amazing experiences. And after doing some research about Mary Oliver and reading some of her other poems,  i realized that she was more on the romantic side. She included a few references to nature and animals. She compared the coming of death as “the hungry bear in autumn” which I though was a great comparison beause the bear has to get all its food to hybernate for the winter; basically coming for what it needs and leaving, like Death.

I think a video for this wont be too hard but there are just so many ways you can go with this poem. The hard part of this project is coming up with a thesis for the essay. I’m finding that aspect very difficult due to the vagueness of the prompt but i LOVEEEE this poem so i don’t want to get discouraged and jump from poem to poem. But i’m thinking that if Professor Kaufman allows me to (i have yet to request to do this awesome poem) my thesis may be focused around how Mary Oliver used personification to give things in nature a voice that adequately relays human thoughts and feelings such as sadness and satisfaction… It needs work but that’s all i got right now

http://www.poetseers.org/contemporary_poets/mary_oliver/mary_oliver_poems/when_death_comes/

This entry was posted in DG13E. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Final Paper/Project Ideas

1. Emily Wong says:

I love the poem you chose, and I really hope you stick with it! I think she uses great comparisons and a lot of references to nature which I think makes it that much more enjoyable to read. Good luck with the video! 🙂