Blog Post # 6

I have no idea what I would like to focus on for my final essay and digital video.  However, one thing that has greatly interested me is the poem about mirros we had read as a class dealing with the subject of self image.  Yes, its a well discussed topic and yes, we all hear about it all the time to the point where no one really cares.  However, what I have started searching are highly retouched photos that are given out to the public which train our eye to believe these photoshopped images are ”real” and ”beautiful.”  What ever happened to beauty in the eye of the beholder? Well with the magazines and catalogs provided to the average consumer, the image of beauty is given to us, though what we think is beauty is probably impossible to achieve.  Just take a look:

When you look at this image, its actually really hard to point out whats wrong with it.  This is because we have learned to accept the images sold, and are used to this ideal image of being thin, and beautiful.  I highly doubted this girl needed editing anyways.  However, this strive for perfection has caused an obsession with retouching.  Now, I bet if I didn’t point out the right of the picture, you would never realize that her waist is not proportional to her lower waist.  I mean, shes thin to begin with.  Why alter the image further? Its quite amusing actually.  But I guess we as viewers and consumers see this as an ideal image to sell products, and the mistakes made are minimal because its normal to be ”photoshopped.”

It gets even more amusing:

When looking at this image its apparent, she missing an arm!!! How could the publishers not even notice? Well I guess that’s not important as long as her waist is almost unrealistically thin and her cleavage are noticed.  So, what I was wondering was: were her arms so large, that one had to be edited out completely? Haha, who knows.  I’m pretty sure this went unnoticed by VS consumers as well because that’s not the obvious focus here.  Remember ladies : ”The arm wasn’t important anyways.  It’s the shirt we’re selling here, right?”

I wish people would realize that retouched photos are all over, the attempt to look like these images is impossible, so why try? I also wonder when something will ever be perfect?  It seems as if the world’s most beautiful people are endlessly retouched, never ending this determination for looking perfect.   Will being beautiful make you happy?  ( Just a random thought)  I want individuals to be aware that though they know most of the photos they look at are retouched, why do they continue to look at them, and want to become or resemble this when it only exists in the world of technology?  Mirrors is a great poem to relate this to because people look at themselves in unsatisfaction knowing they do not look like the ideal image they want to be, without realizing this is not something even the world’s most famously- known- for -beauty people look like.

Here are other pretty interesting images I noticed, that maybe people should take a look at :

This entry was posted in JM13D, ResponsePaper, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Blog Post # 6

1. eva.tam says:

when i remembered that we needed to leave a comment on at least one post, i wasn’t sure on whose i would do so on but as soon as i returned to our blog i was captivated by yours. i have thought about the whole needing to be perfect aspect in society and the photoshopping and retouching. it is still a prominent issue but i feel that this year many people are trying to accept who they are much more than past times and even flaunting it. songs like “firework,” “f**kin’ perfect,” “born this way,” “we r who we r,” “pretty girl rock,” and “who says” are all sending the message that we should be comfortable in our skin and that we’re amazing just the way we are. sorry for the long response but your post really inspired a lot of thought for me. 😀

2. I like your blog post Malisa. I could help think about the idea of “photo-shopping” people as mentioned. I was thinking that photo-shopping a model would be a great idea. Yes most people are right that it gives a person the wrong idea, that is ultimately unachievable, but I think that it is a good thing. I believe that things that are unachievable makes us work harder and strive for higher. If beauty was actually attainable I’m sure many people would have archived it, and it wont be as special as it is by our artificial women models = )

3. jenny.he1 says:

Your post is amazing! I really agree with what you wrote. I don’t like the idea of photoshopping models this way. Sure, it makes a “perfect” and better image but it doesn’t it really reassure the readers and the models that they can be “perfect” without any work done to their pictures. I use photoshop myself but I never actually go on to erase things, I just change the color to make it lighter or darker. From the looks of those photos it seems like the editors took the time to make sure every flaw was gone.
    @Eva – I’m actually glad those songs were made because I believe that those songs actually help with self esteem. Now that millions of people are on the internet/ social networking sites a lot of people are becoming victims of harassment because of looks and these songs encourage people to love them selves.

4. Kristie Ching says:

I love this post! I agree with almost everything you said. People these days are so caught up in the media. The models and celebrities in the media are portrayed as “beautiful” and “perfect,” but if they were really so perfect then why fix them?! These false, edited images lead people to believe that they are flawed, when in fact they aren’t. It’s ridiculous how people really think that these celebrities are so perfect that they don’t have any blemishes on their skin or excess fat anywhere on their bodies. It’s fake! Last semester, we saw a Dove evolution commercial and it showed us how much work they put into making the people we see in the media “perfect.” Beauty should be natural. Accepting our own flaws and imperfections are what makes us beautiful and perfect.

5. Anna says:

I agree completely with your post! I looked at the pictures before reading, and I didn’t even see what you were mentioning here: “Now, I bet if I didn’t point out the right of the picture, you would never realize that her waist is not proportional to her lower waist.”, until after reading what you wrote. Looking at these pictures, I feel like it’s kinda of expected that pictures of people in magazines look flawless. It just kind of upsets me that there was nothing wrong with the original pictures to begin with. 🙁 I was thinking about doing this assignment with same poem, I love it! but you totally beat me to it, by like a million years, hehe. ^^

6. I don’t think that retouching is an issue. It is widely acknowledged that this is common practice in the media and anyone who thinks otherwise is naive. I don’t think the point you’re making is invalid-there was nothing glaringly “wrong” about the before images. However, the entire point of the industry is to sell us a product and a lifestyle. Part of the appeal of the fashion industry is that the ideal they promote is unattainable, elite. Obviously, this kind of marketing won’t please everyone. But I would never open up Victoria’s Secret or Vogue expecting to see someone who epitomized normalcy or “realness”. The same way movies glamorize high school or heroin, these photos provide the viewer with a fantasy. It is the responsibility of the consumer to maintain a realistic idea of what is and is not human.