8:00 a.m.: Sign-in and Breakfast
• High school students will sit with their classroom teachers and be introduced to the seminar options and sign up for seminars.
9:00 a.m.: Welcome
• Welcome by Katina Paron, Director of the NYC High School Journalism Collaborative
• Greeting from Dean Jeffrey Peck, Weissman School of Arts and Sciences, Baruch College
• Introduction by Geanne Rosenberg, Director of the Harnisch Collaborative Future of Journalism Projects
• Keynote: Paul E. Steiger, Editor-in-Chief, CEO and President, ProPublica
10:00 a.m.: Workshop 1
Journalists’ Mistakes | New Advisers’ Meeting | Painting with Words
Smart Talk: Interviewing Basics | Recruitment & Retention
Photojournalism in the Digital Age | Steal These Crime Coverage Tips
No Cheering in the Press Box | Investing in Investigative Reporting
11:00 a.m.: Workshop 2
The Editor’s Role | Check Your Style | All Advisers Meeting
Covering Immigrant Communities | Advertising…Revenue Limitless
The Music of Writing | Telling A Story | Using Social Media to Spread News Lightening Ledes | Get Your Newspaper Online with my.hsj.org (Preregistration required)
Noon: Workshop 3
Show Don’t Tell | Taking GLBT Coverage Out of the Closet | Writing About Music Write with Sway | Using Cell Phones in Reporting | Nitty Gritty of Newspaper Design
Growing & Engaging Online Audiences | Freedom of Press: Do You Have It? Grammar for Journalists
1:00 p.m.: Lunch
1:45 p.m.: The Newsies! Award Ceremony
Presented by Kevin Convey, Editor-in-Chief, New York Daily News
2:30 p.m.: Thank You and Goodbye!
Click here for last year’s agenda.