A room of one’s own

It seems to me that Virginia Woolf likes the theory of cause and effect. For example, “Next came beef with its attendant greens and potatoes…suggesting the rumps of cattle in a muddy market.” She always tries to figure out the causes of what she sees with her eyes. Also, she states that the flow of gold and silver, the foundation of fellowships and so many things that lead to the library and all the expensive equipments that she is not allowed to use.

I feel like she is leading me into her mind and going through all kinds of scenarios throughout the text. There are massive information for me to get when she talks about all those great writers and their works; which I cannot keep up with her mind.

I don’t feel like there are not many convincing examples to support her idea: women need to have money and a room of her own to write a fiction. Nontheless, I think Shakespeare’s sister trying to escape from her home is an example of why should a woman to have her own room. At least they need to have their own place where they’re not restrained by external factors to focus on writing. A convincing example supports the “money” is at the end(didn’t realize it is not on the book) when she mentions Sir Arthur Quiller-Couch’s work; eleven out of the twelve great writers of last two hundred years were somewhat rich, the last one who’s poor and successful was John Keats, who died at age 25. This really proves a lot. If money is such an important factor to be a good writer for man, then hard to imagine a woman to be a successful writer without money.

About zl139112

5081190214663627
This entry was posted in ReadingResponse and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.