Just another Blogs@Baruch weblogPosts RSS Comments RSS

Panel 4 Entrepreneurship/Entertainment- Spring 2010

Opening

We are very excited to have 3 panelists from the entertainment industry who will be discussing different topics related to entrepreneurship. More specifically, we will be focusing on such areas as what it takes to be a successful entrepreneur, barriers to entry as well as barriers during operation, work-life balance, and ethics.

Before we get started, I would like to explain to format of our panel. Each panelist will be asked the same question, to which they will have approximately 2-3 minutes to respond. At 10:00, we will be wrapping up our questions and we will open up the panel to the audience. At 10:10, we will offer our closing remarks to be followed by Professor Tawil. We ask the audience to please refrain from asking questions until the designated time.

Without further delay, I would like to introduce our panelists. Yoni Goldberg, is founder and partner of dGi Management where he represents such artists as Rev Run, Q-tip, The Misshapes, and many others. Justin Homapour, is founder and president of Just Mark It X, where he specializes in event planning, club promotion, and marketing. Jamieson Hill is an open-format bottle-service DJ who in just 4 years has already played the most exclusive venues in Manhattan, including 1Oak, Greenhouse, and many others.

Closing

I’d like to thank all of the panelists for joining us today and for speaking about entrepreneurship and entertainment.  To wrap up, I want to point out some key points.
1. Love what you do and be passionate about it. You should be happy and excited with what you’re doing.
2. Justin and Yoni mentioned that you should treat others how you want to be treated. Also, having realistic goals and meeting expectations will you successful.
3. Jamieson mentioned that it is extremely important to maintain good relationships from the past along with connections. If anything ever goes wrong you always have something to fall back on.
4. Regarding obstacles, the best thing is to keep calm and don’t panic before you get frustrated and things get even worse.
5. Finally, make the best out of any type of situation; whether bad or good we can capitalize on them.

Questions

Questions Panel 4 Entrepreneurship/ Entertainment

1. How did you get started?

2. What do you think it takes to be successful?

3. Do you believe that a job in the entertainment industry is for a specific personality? 

4. In entrepreneurship in general, what kind of adversity is faced in your eyes?

5. Does social networking play a major role in the entertainment business, (ie. Facebook), if so how has it benefited you specifically?

6. Is age a factor in your success?  Do you believe entering the industry early is to your advantage?

7. Everybody goes through ups and downs, what strategies do you use to recover and how do you learn from your mistakes?  Please give an example.

8. Being that your goal is to have your business venture succeed, how do you manage a balance between work and life?

9. What kind of problems do you usually encounter in the entertainment field?  How do you overcome those obstacles?

10. Being ethical in today’s world is more important than ever, what strategies do you use to ensure that your practices are ethical and your customers/ client base are happy?

11. What kind of advise could you give someone interested in venturing into the entertainment business?

22 responses so far

22 Responses to “Panel 4 Entrepreneurship/Entertainment- Spring 2010”

1. dkandoraon Apr 29th 2010 at 3:06 pm

As an entrepreneur myself I must reiterate the part about “do what you want to do”.

This is YOUR life, not anybody else. If you like doing one thing then do it. Don’t stop because others said it would fail or because others didn’t appreciate it as much as you did. The chances are, what you are going IS a good idea, and I’m sure there are others out in this world of 8 billion people that think its a great idea too.

2. laddeoon Apr 29th 2010 at 5:32 pm

Although I don’t plan on being an entrepreneur, I thought the panelists had really good advice and information about the topic that anyone can relate to. People can use what they said in their work life and outside of their work life. The one thing that stuck with me from the presentation was the advice of “love what you do and be passionate about it.” That has always been something I try to remember when it comes to certain things in life. I think your questions covered the topic thoroughly and overall I enjoyed the presentation.

3. harrisontannenon Apr 29th 2010 at 10:26 pm

I also agree with the “love what you do” quote…whether your an entrepreneur, wall street executive, or play a musical instrument in the subway; quality of life is most important in my eyes because life is so short and fragile, its important to make the most of it!

4. Connie Tamon Apr 30th 2010 at 7:11 pm

Although I don’t plan on working in the entertainment industry, I thought that this panel had a very interesting topic. It was a lot different from the other panels because it involves the entertainment field so the speakers weren’t in business attire like what we were normally accustomed to.

I also agree that you should love what you do. If you don’t love what you do, then you would dread going to work each day and you wouldn’t do a good job.

5. thomaszengon May 1st 2010 at 1:16 pm

I thought there was a great balance between the presentations of the three speakers. Wasn’t too interested in entertainment entrepreneurship, but the three of them did give great practical advice such as making life easier for others and always keeping yourself connected and available in case of emergencies.

6. vivian hwangon May 5th 2010 at 2:26 pm

I really enjoyed this panel because the speakers all talked about the ups and downs of their careers and stressed the importance of working hard at the beginning. It’s also inspiring when you see someone who was on TV but is also a student at your college. Great work.

7. ptsouon May 8th 2010 at 6:26 pm

Once again, I see the importance of networking, especially when Jamieson talked about how he got into the field. I’m more open to my surrounding recently. The more I practice, the more I feel comfortable. Hope everyone else also starts to work on their social network!

8. yingpinglinon May 9th 2010 at 9:49 pm

I am pretty surprised that the panelists from your group are young and one of them are actually baruch student. I also like the idea of loving what you do and be passionate about it. I think a lot people become successful because they are not fearful of failures and hard-working. Just like the panelist Jamieson, he got fired a lot but still continuing doing what he loves to do and he is really into it. That’s how he achieves success at the end.

9. mgamsonon May 10th 2010 at 12:10 am

I found this panel to be very interesting. It is always inspiring to hear success stories, especially when at such a young age. The three panelists spoke a lot about passion, and I think that it is really one of the most important things to remember. If you aren’t passionate about what you do, you’re wasting your time. I also liked how all three panelists were in the same overall field of entertainment, but with very different experiences and responsibilities in the field.

10. Laura Chan #15on May 10th 2010 at 11:05 am

This group panelist is different from other panels. These are young entrepreneur that are in the entertainment field. I like this group of panels because there are in the entertainment industry and thats not something easily to get into. I picked up a very good advice from Jamieson that it would be great to start young that way your experience grows over time. Another thing, is one of the guest speaker mention how important it is to network because its like a ladder for you to get to the top, to be successful. Well done guys! I really enjoyed this panel.

11. bhughleyon May 10th 2010 at 6:24 pm

I enjoyed this panel because it gave me inspiration to keep pushing as an entrepreneur. I think it hard to get support as a young person starting their own business, but if you have determination, you can prevail. All of the panelist were different, and each had great advice for us all. Great job.

12. emordechaion May 10th 2010 at 7:30 pm

I firmly believe in Jamieson’s idea of networking in order to build relationships, because they are what opens doors. This panel opened my eyes and stimulated my mind, making me think about what I am passionate about it life. I think the lessons learned in this panel can be used in any industry, not just for entertainment.

13. Darlysha Lirianoon May 11th 2010 at 5:35 pm

I enjoyed the panel something that we heard constantly throughout the semester is to be passionate about what you do which was also mention in this panel. You have to like what you do in order to look forward to going to work.

14. jwojdaton May 11th 2010 at 7:17 pm

It was a interesting panel, seeing such a young guys being hungry for success in doing what they love was definitely motivating. It gave me a sense that after all it important to do in life what you really enjoy and if you truly want it it will bring you other things like financial benefits. I think that idea stressed by Jamieson about keeping up good relationship with people you met was really important since the more people you know the more opportunities might await for you, especially nowadays when just skills wont put you out on top of your profession without network of people and good relationships with them.

15. kirabrodskayaon May 11th 2010 at 10:28 pm

I thought that this was an interesting and creative topic. I am embarrassed to admit that at first I used the same bias that, without a doubt can be applied to all of us. I questioned the expertise of the panelists, since they all seemed so young. However, I was definitely proven wrong. In fact, I think that this actually made it easier to relate to them. They spoke passionately about what they do, and it was great to see young and motivated people who are willing to do whatever it takes to get to their goals. Jamieson mentioned how necessary it is to always be available for opportunities that may be presented to you, and I think it’s definitely a point that shouldn’t be taken lightly. On another hand, Yoni brought up a very interesting and eye opening point- that being passionate about what you do comes in more shapes than one. It is possible to find passion not only in an industry or career, but in a specific trait that you can bring to the table or the results of your hard work. I do not necessarily want to take the entrepreneurial path, but I definitely took away some important points from this panel. Thank you.

16. Javier Gon May 12th 2010 at 10:04 am

I think the topic of the panel was great. The panel was composed of fresh young speakers which made the presentation more interesting. However, In my opinion this panel could have benefited from having more variety within the speaker. They all seemed to be starters in their own business and none of them were in the top notch of their entrepreneurship careers. Overall nice work put. All of the speakers delivered and the passion for what they are doing was noticeable in their tone of voice and expressions when answering questions from the group and classmates.

17. mchaion May 12th 2010 at 5:10 pm

This panel was pretty good. The topic was fun and very informational. Some of the strengths in the panel was that they got panelists that really related to the topic. Each panelist knew what they were talking about and what was inspiring about them was their passion for their work. One of the negatives was that I felt that one of the panelist didn’t really related to the other two. He was much more experienced and his business was bigger than others. Overall it was a good panel.

18. Vijaianand Lallon May 12th 2010 at 9:15 pm

This panel was quite fun since it took a break from the serious corporate world and was more relaxed and laid back. Not to say that these gentleman’s job are easier than others, but the atmosphere of their jobs are much more easy going. It was really inspiring to know that two of them were juggling both school and their careers at the same time. It goes to show that it is possible.

19. Jenny Kimon May 14th 2010 at 3:00 pm

I thought this brought up an interesting topic. I think the questions were very organized. I wouldn’t say it was my favorite but I like Yoni. I thought his strategies and networking is great.

20. gchoeon May 15th 2010 at 11:21 am

I think yoni goldberg was on point from this panel. He knew exactly what he was talking about and gave great viewpoints on the business ethics. Usually we are so used to hearing about ethics in a very passive viewpoint. We always hear about unethical business can hurt us, but yoni pointed out that having ethics gives us competitive advantage sometimes. Numerous times, he mentioned he is where he is due to his honesty and keeping his promises. In this day and age, that viewpoint was simply enlightening.

21. scohenon May 17th 2010 at 1:49 pm

I liked this panel presentation a lot because it had a lot to do with us as students. They were all young and liked to have fun and worked that into what they did professionally. They all mentioned a very important thing which I took away from the presentation which was you need to love what you do! I think it was Jamieson who had a job which he got fired from or quit and was happy because he didnt enjoy it at all. Overall, this was a very good presentation and I took away a lot from it.

22. plawon May 17th 2010 at 1:58 pm

I found this panel presentation very interesting. It definetely shows that you can do what you love and still make a living off it. Some dreams are harder to achieve but if you put your heart into it, nothing is impossible. The panel speakers definetely inspired me to chase my dreams rather than becoming a business major which I will probably be stressed out at work for the next 40 years.