Creativity and New Media

The most exciting new media tools for sharing video are Instagram and Vine, affiliated with Facebook and Twitter respectively. Each is tremendously popular for sharing quick bursts of moments; Vine distills what the user is attempting to capture to just six seconds while Instagram is about double the length of time. Each is incredibly popular among internet users, especially teenagers. Vine is used by a quarter of all U.S. teenagers, however, Instagram has about four times the users – over 200 million.

For this project, I decided to experiment with both services, stopping and starting in an eight second window in order to capture my typical morning commute to Baruch. Lining up the shots left little room for error – the video clips were all shot in motion. In addition, due to the fact that I used Instagram’s segment shooting feature, I shot each successive burst without the ability to delete previous clips, so I had to plan out my shooting locations in order to fit the eight-second time frame. I played with a number of Instagram filters before deciding on a black and white tint using the video edit tool, as well as autocorrect features. My attempts to embed the video were not successful due to Blogs@Baruch security restrictions, so here is the link.