Depending on the position, a recruiter may receive a hundred applications or more. With so much competition, how can you stand out? How do you let the recruiter know that you are a great fit for the role? Start by creating a compelling cover letter to help you get noticed!
- Limit it to 1 page. Keep your content succinct, but full of powerful statements and action verbs.
- Don’t repeat your resume. Use your cover letter to expand on your bullet points and explain why you’re a perfect fit for the company.
- It’s not what the company can do for you, it’s what you can do for the company. Don’t talk about what this opportunity can do for you–clearly demonstrate your capabilities and explain what you can bring to the table.
- Proofread. Ensure your cover letter is in the proper format and free of spelling and grammatical mistakes.
- Make it interesting. Demonstrate your writing skills along with your experience to ensure a professional and polished cover letter.
Don’t forget to make an appointment to have your cover letter reviewed by a career counselor at the Starr Career Development Center. We would be more than happy to give you some helpful suggestions.