Employer FAQs for Fall 2020 Virtual Job & Internship Fair

SYMPLICITY CSM:  Virtual Career Fair for Employers–Frequently Asked Questions

Thank you for participating in our upcoming Fall 2020 Virtual Job & Internship Fair on Friday, September 25, 2020 from 12:00 PM to 4:00 PM EST via Starr Search (Powered by Symplicity).  Here are some of the FAQs to help you prepare for this event.

1. Are there browser limitations?  Symplicity does not support Internet Explorer – please use another browser to access the system.

1. When is my account created?  Accounts for attending representatives are created as soon as your registration is confirmed.  You can go to the Baruch’s login page and click “forgot password” to generate a password and log in any time after that.

1. When can I log in and start looking around?  You can log in any time after you are sent your log-in information from our office and peruse the system.  The chat area will become available 1 hour before event start time – 11AM EST on September 25th.

1. How do I log in?  You should receive the login instructions from the Starr Career Development Center.

1. How do I enter/edit my meeting information?  Enter the fair, click “view chats” and then you will see the “Video Chat Instructions” button on the right, which will open the boxes for you to enter your instructions and alternate instructions.

1. What do I put in the meeting information box?  How do I get the videoconference link?  When registering, the registering contact for your organization can enter Video Chat Instructions and Alternate Chat Instructions for all representatives.  Each representative needs their own videoconference link to be entered in the Video Chat Instructions box.

1. What should I put in the alternate information box?  Alternate Chat Instructions are not required, but we suggest you put another way that students can get a hold of you if your original link does not work.  Perhaps the phone number of a colleague or your HR representative, or your office line.

1. What is the difference between 1:1 chat and group chat?  Am I required to do both?  1:1 chat is what you think of when you think of a typical fair.  Students get in line in your organization’s queue and then your representatives can grab the next student in line and talk with them.  Each representative will have their own 1:1 chat information and can invite students into that videoconference room to connect.  The group chat is intended to be more for a Human Resources staff member, for example, who might want to talk to students while they are waiting in line or perusing the fair.  Students attending the fair (in your line and not yet in your line) can see the group chat link and enter it to ask questions about your organization and/or hiring process.  You could also play a video or have some slides up for viewing.

1. Can I use the same videoconference link for both 1:1 chat and group chat?  No, you must use separate videoconference rooms for each representative and another difference room for your group chat if you decide to host a group chat. Be sure to make it as a hyperlink so students can easily click on it to join the session.

1. If we want to have more than one person in the group chat room, do they each need a Symplicity account?  No, the group chat monitors will not need to log into the system – they just need to start the videoconference room and wait for students to join them!

1. Can I edit my name/personal information?  Log onto Starr Search, once you are in the system. You can go to my account > personal info to see what is available.  Any edits made during the fair will be immediately reflected.

1. Can I add jobs during the fair?  Yes, you can click on “fairs” on your left menu and click on “registered” beside the fair to enter the general tabs, then click on “My Positions” at the top, and “add new”.  Once we receive this information, we will make it visible to students as soon as possible.

1. Can I email students before the fair begins to encourage them to come to the fair?  Starting Tuesday, September 22nd, you can start accessing student resumes. You can find it by going to events > “fairs” on your left menu and click on “registered” beside the fair to enter the general tabs, then click on RSVP’d Students at the top.  From there you can use the “mail to” button to email attending students.

1. Who can see my meeting information and alternate instructions?  Only students you invite to meet with you from the queue can see your instructions.  When you click “start chat”, the student is sent an invitation to join the queue. Only if they accept that invitation do they see your meeting instructions and alternate instructions

1. Who can see the group chat information?  All attending students can see your company’s profile and view the group chat information.  They can then click to join – they do not need an invitation to join group chats.

During the fair

1. What is the most important thing I should do first?  Three things:  (a) click on “Video Chat Instructions” to confirm your meeting information is correct.  (b)  start your videoconference room (whatever link you gave for students to meet with you), then (c) go to the chat area and make yourself “online” within the video chat settings box.  Put those screens side-by-side so you can view the queue/chats simultaneously with your videoconference room.

1. If I move off of the chat queue to look at jobs or other parts of the system, how do I return?  Click on Events > career fairs and you will see the “View Chats” button on that list, or if you are in a fair, click on the Overview tab to see the “View Chats” button.

1. What happens when I extend the time of my chat?  When the chat timer in Symplicity CSM gets to one minute, a pop-up will appear to remind you to end your talk with this student.  You can hit “extend time” to add two minutes to your timer.  The students do not see a time extension – their timer counts down to zero and they know they are on “borrowed time”.   Otherwise, you can click “end chat” on that pop-up to go to the chat summary and add your notes.  Be careful to try to stay close to your allotted time per student so your queue does not get too long!

1. What will the student see about me?  They will see the following fields from your profile and registration form:  Company name, Company logo, Name, email address, Division, Title, Video chat instructions, and Alternate instructions

1. What if the student never joins my videoconference?  If your timer starts to count down, you will know that they have accepted the chat and might just be having technical difficulty.  You could reach out to the host school to see if they can contact the student to assist. If the student never enters your videoconference room, you can click “end chat” and make a note in the summary.  If the timer never starts to count down, they might have missed your alert on their screen and you should “end chat” and move to another student.  The student can rejoin your queue.

1. What should I do when I am done with the student?  Two things – click “end chat” in Symplicity CSM and dismiss them from your videoconference meeting.  Then add your notes to CSM and save that student so you can return to the queue to invite another to join you!

1. Can I email students during the fair to encourage them to get in my queue and/or visit our group chat?  Yes, you can find it by going to events > “fairs” on your left menu and click on “registered” beside the fair to enter the general tabs, then click on RSVP’d Students at the top.  From there you can use the “mail to” button to email attending students.

1. Can we assign certain students to certain representatives?  No.  If you want a specific representative to speak with a specific student, you’d have to coordinate so that representative grabs them when they reach the top of the queue.

1. Can I take students out of order?  No, you must always take the next student at the top of the queue.

1. Will the Starr Career Development Center staff see notes I put in after chatting with students?  Will the student see notes I put in?  Will colleagues see notes I put in?  Your colleagues and the Starr staff can see the notes.  Students cannot see the notes.

1. What do I do if I need a break?  If you need to take a break, you can change your status to “busy” in the video chat settings.  This will not impact your queue but it will automatically extend the wait time.

1. What if I need to unexpectedly leave?  If you need to close your queue, change your status to “offline” in the video chat settings.  If you are the last/only representative for your company, students will be alerted that you are no longer accepting chats and you will be emailed the resumes of students who were in your queue at that moment.

1. What should I do when the fair is over?  At fair end, you can continue to invite students to your videoconference room.  New students will not be able to join your queue, but it will not kick students out of your queue until the last representative from your organization goes offline.  When you are ready to leave the fair, set yourself to offline before you log out.  If you are the last/only representative for your company, students will be alerted that you are no longer accepting chats and you will be emailed the resumes of students who were in your queue at that moment.

1. How do I see resumes?  Students are encouraged to submit resumes as they RSVP for the fair.  You will be able to view the resume of each student in your queue.  You can also view resumes from the RSVP’d student tab of the fair.  You can find it by going to events > career fairs on your left menu and click on “registered” beside the fair to enter the general tabs, then click on RSVP’d Students at the top.  From there you can use the “generate publication” button to batch the resumes into one PDF.

1. What should I do if I have technical problems? Please reach out to us via email at careerdc@baruch.cuny.edu or join the Zoom link on the day of the event at: Zoom Link: https://baruch.zoom.us/j/95459959704 to report technical problems.

After the fair

1. Can I export my notes?  There is currently not a way to export your notes.

1. Is a resume packet or automated list sent to me after the fair?  The system will not send resumes or notes after the fair.  You can certainly download student resumes after the fair.

Additional questions? Email us at careerdc@baruch.cuny.edu