Journal #3: Next Steps

Working on this Community Project had made me realize that there are so many resources to use that the only problem is condensing down all the research. While Wikipedia is just about everyone’s favorite (and easiest!) source to use amongst classmates, the various meetings we’ve had in Freshman Seminar have taught me that there are so many options. Mr. Medina, for one, offered plenty of assistance throughout the semester and I am definitely relieved that he will be assisting me for many more semesters to come. He has also encouraged me to be more serious about this Project, as I realized that I have a lot to be grateful for and this this volunteering experience is a great way to say thanks to the community at the large.

The library resources, for one, have definitely been a godsend. The meeting we previously had with Professor Franceous was certainly beneficial as he helped introduce to me the various databases we can use for just about anything, as well as personal assistance. It was a good thing he mentioned idealist.org because that site mainly helped my group discover Doc to Dock, Inc., a very interesting volunteer service that helps pack and ship medicinal supplies to many countries in Africa and Haiti.

While doing this project required some time and effort, we had Maria to help us keep track of the dates. Without her, my group and I would probably be stuck working on the project on Sunday night. However, she has been an awesome peer mentor because she kept tabs on us, and ultimately, we were all able to come up with brilliant presentations.

On the whole, doing this project has helped me realize a lot about myself. Although I can’t say that I became a different person (that would be kinda dramatic!), I have become more grateful of what I have and I also learned that I have a responsibility to give back to the community and keep saying thanks for the rewards I have earned.

I am glad Freshman Seminar didn’t turn out to be a waste of time (as I originally thought), but actually a very enriching class that have impacted all of us in one way or another.

2 Responses to Journal #3: Next Steps

1. Maria Guglielmo says:

Tashnuva,

I am glad that you found the class enriching. Thank you for your kind words. You all have been a wonderful class.

I am happy that you are using all of the amazing resources that Baruch has to offer and I am impressed at your Non-profit organization. It looks like it’s going to be a lot of fun.

I will always be here for you. Good luck Tashnuva!

Maria

2. agen casino says:

I was suggested this web site via my cousin. I am not sure whether this post is written by way of him as no one else know such certain about my trouble. You are wonderful! Thank you!