Throne of Blood

The play, “Throne of Blood” was very confusing to me, I mainly understood the parts that seemed to have a comparison to Shakespeare’s “Macbeth“. However, the theater review in the New York Times I do not completely agree with. I agree that the costumes were very nice and that the scenery was not extravagant. What I do not agree with is that the critic is comparing the play to the movie, and although I did not see the movie, I do not believe that is a fair comparison. Also the critic did not like the spirit in the play and did not think it was creepy. I really enjoyed that part and I enjoyed the costume and the voice they gave the spirit. The article also says, “I spent a fair amount of time asking myself how Mr. Chong would manage to recreate the movie’s celebrated last scene, in which Washizu staggers around like a death-defying human pincushion after his own soldiers have sprayed him with arrows. The answer was uninspired, an appropriate anticlimax for an ill-conceived theatrical enterprise.” I believe that is a little harsh, even though the story line was confusing for me and I had a hard time following what was going on, overall I thought that the actors and the way the story was portrayed was not that bad. The scene the critic is talking about is actually one scene I understood and thought was made very clear. He is making too many comparisons to a movie, where effects and camera angles make telling a story much easier. Overall I thought the play was interesting and put together nicely.

This entry was posted in Asian Literature. Bookmark the permalink.