This resource is organized around typical moves a reader expects to see in a case analysis, providing examples of phrases and sentence structures that help realize these moves.
- As you read the examples, focus first on the bolded language. This language can be reused across a number of different examples.
- Then, to understand how the template works in context, reread the examples with attention to the italicized text. To use this example, you’ll need to replace this language with examples from your own case.
Presenting the key situation, problem, or issue
Stating the central issue or problem:
- The underlying issue with Sunshine University’s budget problems is . . .
- A major problem for HealthCo is its organizational culture . . .
- . . . is the most difficult challenge the company faces . . .
Presenting the key decision to be made:
- The CEO needs to decide whether to . . .
- She will need to consider _____________ when making her decision.
- The investors have asked her to choose from . . .
- She has to weigh these options against her most important priorities, which include . . .
Identifying the central causes of a problem:
- The current financial problems A.J. Comics faces can be traced to four causes.
- Acme Motors’ outdated client software suggests a need to invest in information technology.
- The division’s problems stem from three sources: a lack of new vision, Rogers’ leadership weaknesses, and a misaligned organization.
- This cultural difference is due to . . .
Recommending a course of action
Stating your recommendation:
- I recommend that . . . / I would not support . . . / I suggest . . .
- Clarkson needs to [action step 1], [action step 2], and [action step 3].
- The team should persuade senior management to . . .
- Ms. Davidson should adopt a less autocratic management approach . . .
- The most significant change that Acme Rentals should implement is . . .
- CJ, Inc. needs to consider changing its return policy in order to address . . .
- First, Yepez must understand . . . From day one, he should . . . He then needs to . . .
Relating your recommendation to important criteria or priorities:
- These four changes are critical to meeting all of the project objectives.
- Adding a more pet-friendly product line would ensure that . . .
- Option four satisfies the CEO’s most important criteria for growing the business.
- Lowering the product price is the best decision as it satisfies the criteria of . . .
- Based on the main priorities of the company, Facebook should . . .
Providing reasons for your recommendation:
- Anita should choose to sell because . . .
- Because growing the business is most important to investors, Ms. Amore should . . .
- Since using eco-friendly cleaning products is crucial to upholding the company’s image, Happy Earth must continue to purchase its stock from GreenWorks.
Introducing and challenging alternative options
Presenting alternative options as less effective
- The founders should not choose to . . .
- Implementing this change would decrease trust in leadership and . . .
- The option to relocate their headquarters abroad could impact . . .
Showing the weaknesses of alternative options
- While the other two options have their advantages in terms of improving overall product quality, Anita should pursue . . .
- Although outsourcing presents significant cost savings, it would negatively affect supply chain control.
- Even though a move to cloud storage offers attractive benefits, it nonetheless conflicts with the IT department’s proposed security measures.
- The CEO’s claim that telecommuting helps employee performance is unsubstantiated by productivity measures. Conversely, . . .
- Smith suggests lowering costs, but analysis of similar restaurants’ recent sales challenges this . . .
Making an evaluation
- The current organization cannot succeed because . . .
- This is a good sign that . . .
- Rogers has to take much of the responsibility for . . .
- Toys R Us and Amazon’s collaboration created value and exceeded expectations of . . .
- Nevertheless, when we look at the accounts receivable, the collection period has worsened.
- The strategy to allocate a portion of the budget to marketing is effective only if management also continues to develop a better product.
Applying analytical frameworks1
- Locke’s Goal Setting Theory asserts that setting specific goals tends to encourage work motivation (Robbins et al., 1998) . . .
- Reviewing the results of the case study, Taylor (1980) concludes that the theories of job enrichment and employee motivation . . .
- According to Lee (2014), co-working spaces have the potential to . . .
1 Read your assignment sheet (or ask your professor) to determine whether you should apply outside sources or frameworks in your analysis.
This resource from the Baruch College Writing Center is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License. You are free to share, adapt, transform, or otherwise use this material in any medium, with attribution.