Monthly Archives: September 2009

Ideas for Publications

Brainstorm of Publication Ideas 

1. Wedding Scrapbook
  2. Photography Portfolio
  3. Menu
  4. Club Flyers
  5. Business Card
  6. Business Envelope
  7. Magazine
  8. Calendar
  9. Photo Album
  10. Catalogs
Posted in Assignment | Comments Off on Ideas for Publications

Printed Matter Assignment

The first publication that I saw was Two Wounds, by Chris Dikens. This publication cost $10. It was printed on matte paper with different color, about 3 by 4 inches. The binding that was used by this publication was saddle stitch binding. The publication opens from the middle, with the flaps one going up and one going down, rather then left and right. I really liked the way this publication was designed, because each page in the front was smaller then the next one, which it created a hole in the middle of the publication. It used several colored pieces of paper, and was very unique. 

The second publication that I saw was New Directions in Current Practices, by Danna Vajda. This publication cost $15. This publication was printed on matte paper as well, about 5 x 6 inches. This publication was binded together by a piece of rubber band in the middle of the fold. What I liked about this publication was that it used graph paper looking paper as the pages of this publication, with drawing of celebrities and famous people. The drawings were realistic, yet the context of the publication was very abstract. 

The third publication that I saw was Deer Mountain, by Kasane Nogawa. There was no price listed for this publication. It was printed on a semi-gloss paper, about 16 x 24 inches. The type of binding used was saddle stitch binding using 2 staples in the middle, similar to those of a supermarket weekly. I liked the largely printed pictures of Deer Mountain. This publication had no writing, just pictures. There were several beautiful pictures of the mountain taken by the “author”, which I enjoyed. 

The forth publication that I saw was Magazine, by Mike Nelson. This publication cost $50.  It was printed on matte paper, and had many pages. The binding used by this publication was perfect binding. Each page was folded, and used only one side for printing~ similar to the Japanese publication was saw in class. What I liked about this publication was that it was another photography book. It showed only pictures of different locations, indoor hallways and room to be more specific. I find this publication to be weird and a bit scary.  

The fifth publication that I saw was Then You Ask Why I Don’t Live Here Honey, How Come You Don’t Move?, by Jasper Sebastian Sturup. This publication cost $10. It used regular paper, and was about 5 x 6 inches big. The type of binding used by this publication was saddle stitch binding using thread in the center. It used a yellow cover piece to cover up the thread. I find this publication interest because it looks like a scrapbook of abstract body parts. Again, it had no writing, just pictures.  

The sixth publication that I saw was India, by Charlotte Dumas. This publication was $15.  It was printed on semi-gloss paper, and was about 5 x 7 inches big. The type of binding used was saddle stitch binding using a red thread, stitching from top to bottom. I like this publication for its beautiful pictures of a white tiger. Every page in this publication are pictures of this white tiger shot from several angles. I like this because it has no words.

Posted in Assignment | Comments Off on Printed Matter Assignment