[dropcap sid=”dropcap-1415296422″]I[/dropcap] met Bernard Baruch when I was a student leader at the College [Varesio was president of the Lamport Leaders Society, among other student leadership positions]. B.B. came to help dedicate our new beaver statue* in the Student Center lobby. It was a beautiful bronze sculpture atop a circular sofa. The Ticker ran an article and photos of the statue (see above).

During the ceremony, Mr. Baruch gave a little speech, which unfortunately I can’t remember. I do remember, though, that he was a very refined senior gentleman. Also, he was very tall (I am 5’7″ and was wearing heels!). I just remember feeling in awe of such an accomplished person, who had humble beginnings like many of us at the College.

Actually, I was so taken with him that I read his biography. He was inspirational!

Thanks to Baruch College for your continuing interest in this great American and those he inspired.

*In Varesio Lohman’s era, the College’s mascot was Bennie the Beaver. Baruch’s mascot has since changed and is now the Bearcat. To learn more about the bronze beaver statue, read this archival article in the 27 March 1962 Ticker: http://ticker.baruch.cuny.edu/files/articles/ticker_19620327.pdf

About the Alumna

Anita A. Varesio Lohman (’62) earned a BA in psychology from Baruch and went on to earn a PhD in clinical psychology. She was a clinical psychologist for 30 years. Today she is retired in Sunriver, Oregon, where she enjoys art and the outdoors.