[dropcap sid=”dropcap-1458162905″]T[/dropcap]he Baruch community was deeply saddened by the passing of Louis Nuñez (’53) on April 28, 2015. Nuñez was a member of the DC Chapter Board of Baruch College Alumni Association in its early years, the late 1990s. He was also the Chapter Board’s liaison to the CCNY Alumni Association—DC Chapter, having served as CCNY Alumni Association’s president and a board member. He was 87 years old.

Nuñez earned a Bachelor of Business Administration from then City College of New York (now Baruch College) in 1953 and was awarded an Honorary Doctorate of Humane Letters by the City University of New York in 1992.

A native New Yorker, Nuñez had a long and distinguished record of service in the public and nonprofit sectors, serving on numerous boards and commissions. In the mid-1960s, he served on New York City’s Board of Higher Education. From 1972 to 1979, he served as deputy staff director of the U.S. Civil Rights Commission. He was nominated by President Jimmy Carter and confirmed by the Senate as staff director, a post he held until 1981. In 1994 he retired as president and CEO of the National Puerto Rican Coalition, Inc. He most recently served on the Montgomery County (Maryland) Commission on Aging, from 1998 to 2005, ending his term as chair.

[divider sid=”divider-1458162804″ type=”dotted”]

Readers Note: The New York Times published an extensive obituary honoring Louis Nuñez at the time of his death. Click here to read the full obituary.

BARUCH ALUMNI TESTIMONIALS: Three Alumni Remember Louis

The first time I met Louis was at a Baruch picnic. I was a new attendee and did not know many people at the event. I remember Louis came over to me and started a conversation about New York and Baruch, two of my favorite topics. He made me feel like I wasn’t a stranger but a friend. I am also thankful for Louis’s role in working with CCNY’s and Baruch’s DC alumni chapters. I have attended many Baruch alumni events since then and always looked forward to talking with him and his wonderful wife, Cecilia. I will miss my fellow New Yorker and Baruch colleague.

I fully support awarding the next Baruch Alumni DC Chapter Scholarship in honor of Louis’s memory and his commitment to Baruch.

—Becky Williams (’82), President, Baruch Alumni DC Chapter

I met Louis when he joined the Board of the DC Chapter of Baruch College Alumni Association, around 1996. Louis had a distinguished career and was awarded the Honorary Doctorate of Humane Letters by CUNY in 1992.

As a graduate of CCNY Downtown (now Baruch), Louis was active in both the CCNY and Baruch alumni associations’ DC chapters. A past president of CCNY Alumni Association–DC Chapter, he took on the responsibility of being the liaison between CCNY’s DC alumni and our organization. He helped us stay in contact with CCNY alumni. This connection led to many annual events, including joint brunches and joint picnics.

I am pleased that the Baruch Alumni DC Chapter will award its next scholarship in Louis’s memory.

—Abraham Akresh (’63, MBA ’70), Past President, Baruch Alumni DC Chapter

Louis was a gentleman and a scholar—and our group of Washington, DC–area alumni are grateful not just for his participation on our Board but also for the brilliant role he played as liaison to the CCNY alumni chapter in the DC area. Louis was everything you’d expect of a New Yorker and CUNY alumnus: he was warm, congenial, and smart. It was such a pleasure spending time at local alumni picnics and receptions with Louis and his lovely wife, Cecilia. He will be missed.

It is only fitting that the next scholarship award earmarked from our chapter honor Louis’s memory and his legacy.

—John Richards (’88), Past President, Baruch Alumni DC Chapter

A SCHOLARSHIP FUND IN MEMORY OF LOUIS NUÑEZ

The Baruch Alumni DC Chapter Board would like to honor Louis Nuñez by awarding its next scholarship in his memory.

To contribute

Go Online: www.baruch.cuny.edu/donate

Please select “I would like to make this gift in someone’s honor/memory” and type in “Louis Nuñez, DC Chapter Scholarship.”

By Mail: Please make your check payable to BCF/DC Chapter Scholarship. Mail to: Baruch College Fund, One Bernard Baruch Way, Box A-1603, New York, NY 10010  Attn: Nicole Souza

By Phone: Please call Nicole Souza at 646-660-6083