Alumnus Po Sit

Why did you choose Baruch?
I arrived in New York from Hong Kong in January 1981 and attended Bayside High School. After receiving and reviewing my transcript from Hong Kong, my guidance counselor informed me that I had enough credits to graduate that June. I was so distressed about the situation, since I had not applied to any college, but my accounting teacher recommended I apply to Baruch. I was so glad to have the opportunity to attend, since I was interested in accounting.

How did Baruch impact your life and career?
Baruch had a major impact on both my personal life and career. First and foremost, I met my wife during college (we took the same political science class). I also made a lot of lifelong

Alumnus Peter Lewison
Baruch fencing captain Peter Lewison (’84) competes in the Olympics hosted in Los Angeles (1984) and Seoul, South Korea (1988).

friends at the College. The academics, extracurriculars, and work experience during my time in college not only taught me social and professional skills but also helped me immerse myself in this new country and build up my self-confidence.

What’s your fondest Baruch memory?
Dating my wife. We would go to cheap restaurants for lunches, study together, and just walk around the city.

Favorite extracurricular activity?
Joining Student Government. Serving as USG president was one of the most rewarding experiences I had at Baruch.

What’s your least-favorite aspect of that era?
Internet modems—they were so slow that we simply could not work remotely.

What are your hopes for Baruch’s next 50 years?
I hope that Baruch will continue to serve the community in New York and provide great and affordable education—and enormous opportunities—to young people, many of whom are first-generation college students (like myself) who are motivated to succeed.