Alumna Joan Lavin

Why did you choose Baruch?
As an Irish immigrant, I wanted to both further my education and pursue my career simultaneously. In addition, I was deeply interested in human dynamics within a business setting and how they impact performance and productivity. To that end, Baruch offered excellent courses on both business and organizational psychology. So it was a perfect fit.

What was NYC like during your student days?
I remember a number of things: The Blizzard of 1996 was the real deal. Women wearing pantsuits became a trend in the workplace. Phantom of the Opera was the top-grossing Broadway show. You did not go to the meatpacking district to dine out. And I had the pleasure of watching Ireland defeat Italy at the 1994 World Cup at Giants Stadium.

What are your favorite and least favorite trends from that era?
I enjoyed the fashion trend of black leggings with an oversized sweater and low-heel shoes—very comfortable. A downside during that time was that there were no iPhones to stay connected, although it was nice not to be online 24/7.

What are your hopes for Baruch’s next 50 years?
That it continues to attract ambitious and driven students, equipping them with an education and confidence that will serve them well in life and career. Grammy Winning Songs