Winning does not make your wife a saint

Best In Show did not really pose any plot but instead had just one agenda. The film is obviously intended for a certain audience: dog lovers. And not much more than that, people who love comedy and love dogs, and it worked in that sense.

Any person with a love for their dog can see themselves in any one of the owners. Whether is be the crazy couple who drove each other mad trying to buy a bee toy, or the humble man with the bloodhound who had a quiet yet passionate love for his pet. The main function is to relate people who own dogs to the people in the movie, and I feel that to a degree the movie did a great job with this.

It presented a bond that people have with their pets, as well as a very rewarding activity: the dog show. I don’t feel the director really had a “message” per se, rather just to have the viewers call favorites from the beginnings, and hope that their favorite dog/owners won the trophy.

The comedy aspect plays an excellent role in this type of movie. It would be mocked had it been a drama, with people going “It’s not that serious, guys. It’s just a dog show.” With this in mind we can not really take the comedy out of it, as it gives it the backbone, and room to see that the characters involved are made fun of all throughout the movie do to their own actions.

From my experiences, I can’t really say I am a dog person. Nor can I say that I would ever consider getting a dog and taking it to a dog show even after I’ve watched this movie. However that is not the point. The point is to get a laugh out of the situation, and to add comedy to the crowd of people who really do take this type of activity like their lives depends on it.

The point is to show us how irrational we can get when it comes to attempting to achieve our goals. And at the end we learn that losing doesn’t mean an end to your passion for your dogs, and that even winning doesn’t change the sad truth about your marriage.