Building Panama Canal in 1906

This image was captured in 1906. It shows the workers were building the Panama Canal which was launched by the United States in the second effort. It is an important picture because over 5000 deaths occurred in order to open the canal; and, the Panama Canal, which joins the Atlantic Ocean and the Pacific Ocean, became a main conduit for the international trade of the United States at that time period.

This entry was posted in 1900-1916, Economic History, June 29 assignment and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Building Panama Canal in 1906

1. slemonde says:

That was a great event in History. To build this canal was a big challege at that time, because many people lost their lives in this construction. It is a very important path to transport products today, and it is also helping the economy in Panama.

2. Angie says:

I questioned myself of the possibility of the second attempt to built the canal had failed would the U.S. try to build it again?

I believe they would tried a third time because the future benefits of the canal were far greater than a few thousand people’s lifes. [I am speaking in a capitalist mentality at the time…]

3. Angie says:

The Panama Canal was the most difficult engineering project ever made. Thousands of workers died from disease that’s why the project was shutdown in the 80s. It was brought up again and was successful the second time. It is so important because it increase trade since it was easy to travel right through instead around the near by oceans.

The construction of the canal has also bolstered Panama’s economy because the canal is a known and popular tourist site.