I am a scientist at the Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory. Previously, I have been a consultant to numerous government agencies, including the Securities and Exchange Commission, the Executive Office of the President, and the United States Department of Homeland Security, and worked for the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System as an internal consultant on scientific computing. I am a passionate educator, teaching mathematics and statistics at the University of Maryland Global Campus since 2010 and have taught public management at Baruch College, Central Michigan University, Penn State, and the University of Baltimore.
I am fortunate to play in everyone else’s backyard. My most recent work has modeled the spread of infectious respiratory diseases and Ebolavirus, predicted global disruptive events, researched using blockchain for government services, and created devices for rescuing victims of building collapse. I have written two books on my work and co-edited two more.
In my spare time, I have served Howard County, Maryland, as a member of the Board of Appeals and Charter Review Commission and the Watershed Stewards Academy Advisory Committee of the University of Maryland Extension. Prior volunteer experience also includes providing economic advice to the Columbia Association, establishing an alumni association for the College Park Scholars Program at the University of Maryland, and serving on numerous public and private volunteer advisory boards.
- PhD, Public Policy, University of Maryland Baltimore County
- MS, Applied and Computational Mathematics, the Johns Hopkins University
- MS, Environmental Engineering and Science, the Johns Hopkins University
- MPA, Public Policy and Administration, University of Baltimore
- BA, East Asian Studies, cum laude, University of Maryland Global Campus
- BS, Mathematics, University of Maryland, College Park
- College Park Scholars Citation, International Studies
- Post Secondary Educational Options Program, Miami University
- Fellow of the Institute of Mathematics and its Applications
- Fellow of the Cybernetics Society
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts
- Fellow of the British Computer Society
- Senior Member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers
- PAF 9172—Research and Analysis II
Provides an introduction to research and analytical methods as applied to public policy and management