Research Paper: Media Wars

by kenny.wong ~ November 30th, 2010. Filed under: Uncategorized.

For my research paper, instead of focusing on one conflict in general, I’m choosing to focus on the region of the middle east and its numerous conflicts over the last decade.  My abstract will be to focus on media wars and how they pertain to the transparancy or lack of it when it comes to war, the geopolitical responses to media of war, and the result of extreme media coverage versus sparse coverage.

For example, CNN became an overnight sensation because of the Gulf War.  24 hour news coverage of the war, and we couldn’t get enough of it.  Why?  It is also said that the Gulf War never happened exactly for this reason; where we are so inundated with this media of war, it was all that really happened in the brief conflict, an exaggeration of reality framed and timed for our viewership.

Second, how many of you knew that 1200 Palestinians died during the Gaza War? These are civilians, including 400 children, 100 women, 100 elderly.  How many of you knew that the Israeli’s bombed four schools and an agency run by the UN, 16 hospitals, 16 ambulances, the latter of which is a war crime?

How many of you knew there was a Gaza War in the first place?  The lack of media coverage (as well as the Lebanese civil war of Waltz With Bashir) of this war and others in the region almost happen under the nose of the global community, but why is that?

Working Bibliography to be addended.

27 Responses to Research Paper: Media Wars

1. hkhoury

Kenny,

I’m really happy that you decided to write about this. I am Palestinian, and even though a majority of my family lives in Haifa, I try to keep up with events in Gaza and the West Bank. There is so much for you to write about, as far as news-worthy occurrences for that region go. They are not highlighted as much, as we are told by Sacco in Palestine. I have an aunt who is working on her Ph.D. regarding home demolition in Jerusalem and the West Bank, so I have plenty of articles to send you, along with lots of pictures I’ve personally taken. You can also take a look at the writings of Mahmoud Darwish, who was considered the Palestinian national poet. Let me know if you are interested in the articles I have. Good luck and I’m excited to see what you choose to include in your paper!

Heather

2. kenny.wong

Heather,

I’d love to see the pictures and articles you have, though depending where my research takes me I may or may not use them.

Updating with my bibliography:
    Allen, Barbara, Paula O’Loughlin, Amy Jasperon, and John L. Sullivan. “The Media and the Gulf War: Framing, Priming, and the Spiral of Silence.” Polity. 27.2 (Winter: 1994): 255-284

Kressel, Neil J. “Biased Judgments of Media Bias: A Case Study of the Arab-Israeli Dispute.” Political Psychology. 8.2 (Jun. 1987): 211-227

Colleran, Jeanne M. “Disposable Wars, Disappearing Acts: Theatrical Responses to the 1991 Gulf War.” Theatre Journal. 55.4 (Dec. 2003): 613-632

There are more resources I’m currently looking into which I will put into the final paper.

3. Birthday Party Berkeley Heights NJ

Top of the line theme , I wish how to make my website this worthwhile !

4. Brewery Windham NY

I really love this content but it looks askew on my mobile browser

5. Windows servers Europe

Nice blog , I am trying how to make my weblog this worthwhile !

6. Rodrick Roskos

Nice blog , I am trying to learn how to make my blog this topical !

7. Visit Website

Top of the line subject , I really hope how to make my blog this worthwhile !

8. SOURCE

I really love this content but it looks vulgar on my mobile browser

9. Visit Homepage

Brilliant post , I am trying how to make my blog this topical !

10. Branda Ondo

I really love this topic but it looks askew on my Firefox web browser

11. Deandre Villalvazo

Top of the line post , I am trying how to make my blog this topical !

12. Florencia Schulman

I really admire this post but it looks off on my Firefox web browser

13. Clifford Krogh

Top of the line theme , I wish how to make my weblog this interesting !

14. Kelvin Chinchilla

I really admire this article but it looks vulgar on my Firefox web browser

15. My Homepage

I really love this blog but it looks askew on my mobile browser

16. Visit my Puppet Show Site

Brilliant theme , I am trying how to make my weblog this good looking !

17. shopperpress 5.0

The 6 MostOver the top shopperpress discount Cheats… And Ways To Utilise them!!

18. lorry lazerast

Hello this is kinda of off topic but I was wanting to know if blogs use WYSIWYG editors or if you have to manually code with HTML. I’m starting a blog soon but have no coding experience so I wanted to get advice from someone with experience. Any help would be enormously appreciated!

19. garden shed plans diy

Do you have an idea of much money you have to spend

20. anaged cpanel vps

Top of the line theme , I am trying how to make my blog this interesting !

21. Ariel Robblee

Thanks for your posting. What I want to say is that when searching for a good on-line electronics shop, look for a web site with complete information on critical indicators such as the personal privacy statement, safety measures details, any payment options, and various terms and also policies. Usually take time to look into the help as well as FAQ segments to get a superior idea of what sort of shop will work, what they are able to do for you, and just how you can use the features.

22. Oren Loskot

Definitely imagine that that you said. Your favourite justification seemed to be on the net the simplest thing to be aware of. I say to you, I definitely get annoyed whilst other people think about worries that they plainly do not know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top and outlined out the whole thing with no need side effect , people can take a signal. Will likely be back to get more. Thank you

23. Becky

Hello, you used to write great, but the last several posts have been kinda boring¡K I miss your tremendous writings. Past several posts are just a bit out of track! come on!

24. uh60010 hoover vacuum

Hi would you mind stating which blog platform you’re working with? I’m going to start my own blog in the near future but I’m having a hard time deciding between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal. The reason I ask is because your layout seems different then most blogs and I’m looking for something unique. P.S Sorry for being off-topic but I had to ask!

25. Katvig lagersalg 2013

I really like your txt here, very super written. I surfed it from my ipad with no worries at all. I will bookmark your blog and return when i want more info. Regards Jeseryn Lander . SE

26. Jamey Ville

The Zune concentrates on being a Moveable Press Participant. Not a net browser. Not a sport machine. Possibly inside future it’ll do even better in those people parts, but for now it is a wonderful technique to organize and hear on your music and movies, and is without peer in that regard. The iPod’s strengths are its world-wide-web browsing and apps. If people sound much more compelling, maybe it really is your very best decision.

27. shades sunglasses

When you are enthusiastic about finding out much more about classy metallic clutches, browse right select your choice. Examine this source to understand the way all these cool and trendy wholesale handbags donate the style enterprise.