Anat Gerstein (MPA ’04) has grown her business from a solo shop to one that employs eight professionals—in just five years. Says the alumna, “I am fortunate to have a great staff that makes it fun and not a chore. They are helping me build the business, they are bringing in wins, and they are helping increase awareness of and develop the reputation of the firm.” Photo by Tracy Lord.

[dropcap sid=”dropcap-1430929641″]B[/dropcap]efore founding the eponymously named full-service communications firm Anat Gerstein, Inc., this School of Public Affairs alumna had tried unsuccessfully to start her own business. Of that first attempt, she says, “I didn’t have enough contacts, nor did I have the discipline to pull it off.” But years later, when her boss, former New York City Public Advocate Betsy Gotbaum, decided against running for another term, Gersetin found herself out of work “at a time when there were very few jobs available—and none that I wanted,” she recalls. “I thought it was the perfect time to start a business, and it was.” Founded in 2010, Anat Gerstein, Inc., works exclusively with nonprofits, big and small, across a wide range of sizes and fields.

Gerstein sees clearly the pivotal role that Baruch had in her career trajectory. “Baruch provided me with what I think is the best crash course in government policy and practice. I walked in knowing little; I walked out as the press secretary to the New York City public advocate,” she says. Today her firm works with many nonprofits whose work is tied to government. They run homeless shelters, work with people involved in the criminal justice system, provide health care to the uninsured, improve educational outcomes for at-risk youth, run cultural institutions, and advocate on behalf of local business groups.

Gerstein has a lot to be proud of. In five years, she’s been responsible for the creation of several jobs, with her company going from a solo shop to a company of 8. “I am fortunate to have a great staff that makes work fun and not a chore. They are helping me build the business, they are bringing in wins, and they are helping increase awareness of and develop the reputation of the firm,” she says. Growing her staff also addresses her biggest business challenge: competing with bigger firms. “I’m building out my bench, but that doesn’t happen overnight.”

ANAT GERSTEIN TALKS SOCIAL ENTREPRENEURSHIP with BCAM

Q: What inspired you to start/found your business?

A: Desire and opportunity. I always wanted to run my own business. I thought it would be fun and personally fulfilling.

I actually tried to start my own business when I went back to earn my master’s at Baruch, but I didn’t have enough contacts, nor did I have the discipline to pull it off. Years later when my boss, former Public Advocate Betsy Gotbaum, decided against running for another term, I found myself out of work at a time when there were very few jobs available—and none that I wanted. I thought it was the perfect time to start a business, and it was.

Q: What skill(s) do you have naturally that help you as a small-business person?[pullquote sid=”pullquote-1430930528″ type=”2″ align=”right”]”I believe in not having a Plan B, specifically as it relates to big decisions. Only having one plan—to succeed at what you are doing—puts you in the position of not hedging your bets. That’s a good thing.”[/pullquote]

A: Determination, perseverance, persistence, and a generally optimistic view that everything will turn out well. I also believe in not having a Plan B, specifically as it relates to big decisions. Only having one plan—to succeed at what you are doing—puts you in the position of not hedging your bets. That’s a good thing.

Q: Entrepreneurs have to have confidence. Where did you find yours?

A: This might sound cliché, but it’s probably thanks to my parents. They raised me to be very realistic but also to believe I could achieve anything I set my mind to. Later, it was my husband who cheered me on and who remains my biggest supporter.

Q: Was there any aspect of your Baruch education that was particularly helpful to you in your business?

A: Baruch provided me with what I think is the best crash course in government policy and practice. I walked in knowing little, and I walked out as the press secretary to the New York City Public Advocate.

Today the firm I run works with many nonprofits whose work is tied to government. They run homeless shelters, work with people involved in the criminal justice system, provide health care to the uninsured, improve educational outcomes for at-risk youth, run cultural institutions, advocate on behalf of local business groups, and further community development goals.

Q: What do you like/love about being an entrepreneur?

[pullquote sid=”pullquote-1430931111″ type=”2″ align=”right”]“I love building something that, at the end of the day, I am responsible for.”[/pullquote]A: I love building something that, at the end of the day, I am responsible for. I love the options, and in a strange way, the freedom that being an entrepreneur offers. But I am also fortunate to have a great staff that makes it fun and not a chore. They are helping me build the business, they are bringing in wins, and they are helping increase awareness of and develop the reputation of the firm.

Q: What’s your biggest challenge?

A: Competing with bigger firms. I’m building out my bench, but that doesn’t happen overnight. I went from a solo operation to a staff of 8 in five years, so I am growing.

Q: What keeps your customers coming back?

A: We work hard and get our clients the results they are looking for. We love what we do, and it shows. We are always thinking about our clients, no matter how small. We become part of our clients’ teams. We’re responsive. We have the right connections, experience, and expertise. That and, I hear, they personally like us.

Q: Any advice for aspiring entrepreneurs?

A: Do what you love and jump in with both feet. Believe you will succeed, but plan for what it will take to get there—and be conservative about your projections.