Where Are They Now

Where Are They Now

That's Entertainment: Arthur Indursky (’64) Pioneers Media Law

July 2016  |  Online Exclusives, Profiles

He’s worked with the likes of Bruce Springsteen, U2, Mariah Carey, and Wynton Marsalis; back in his early days with the Village People; and with such media giants as MTV, Sony Music, and Universal Music — but Arthur Indursky (’64) insists he has never been star-struck.

“I spent my whole career with the leading rock stars, movie stars, sports figures, artists, writers, and business leaders in media,” recalls Indursky, the co-founder of influential entertainment law firm Grubman & Indursky, PC. in the mid-70’s. “But,” he maintains, “they’re all just people like you and me.”

A proud Baruch alumnus, Indursky has enjoyed a tremendously successful career in entertainment law, helping to pioneer the industry while representing some of the biggest names in pop culture. Growing up, he worked at his father’s grocery store, a far cry from the glitz and glamour of the recording industry. And back in the ’60s, when he graduated from Baruch and earned a JD from Brooklyn Law School, this one-time accounting major had a very different career path in mind.

“I thought I wanted to be a tax accountant,” says Indursky. “My first job was in the tax department of the old Big Eight accounting firm Touche, Ross, Bailey & Smart. I was there for a few years—and I hated it.”

Indursky left accounting without looking back and joined the legal department of Columbia Pictures.  After a number of successful years, he decided it was time to venture out on his own; he gave up his blossoming career at Columbia to co-found Grubman & Indursky, PC.

“I got lucky,” Indursky says, modestly. “It was a big risk at the time, but it all worked out. You can’t beat luck and good timing.”

And what impact did Baruch have on Indursky’s decision to become an entertainment lawyer?

“Absolutely none,” he deadpans. “But, kidding aside, Baruch taught me the ability to think, and especially to think on my feet, which is essential in business and in law. Solving problems and thinking ahead: that’s the road to becoming a winner.”

Through it all, Indursky hasn’t forgotten his roots. He recently came back to campus to speak with Baruch’s Pre-Law Society, sharing stories and career advice with students who hope to follow in his footsteps. It was an opportunity for Indursky to reflect on his incredible career.

“I grew up as a kid in Brooklyn delivering groceries for my father while I was in high school,” he recalled. “Fast forward: I became a founding partner in perhaps the most prestigious entertainment and media firm in the country—if not the world.”

And, in between, he shared memories with some of the most famous names in media.

“The most rewarding part is looking back on so many wonderful stories,” he says. “It would take days to tell them all.”

—Gregory M. Leporati