Finalized midterm study guide

In preparation for the midterm exam, scheduled for in class tomorrow (June 22), I have finalized the midterm study guide.  The biggest change I have made is decreasing the number of items in part I.  I will print some copies of this and bring them to class today for those who prefer a paper version.

Section I – Identifications

This section consists of one paragraph identifications.  I will list 12 people, places, and events that we have studied so far.  From these, you will get to choose 6, and write one paragraph (at least 3 sentences) describing the historical importance of each.

Here is a larger list from which I will draw the 12:

1)    “Axis of Evil”
2)    Bush Doctrine
3)    Fall of the Berlin Wall
4)    Bill Clinton
5)     Watergate
6)    Iran-Contra Affair
7)    Enron
8)    Identity politics
9)    Stagflation
10)    Greensboro Sit-In
11)    Freedom Rides
12)    Woodstock
13)    Baby boom
14)    Marshall Plan
15)    McCarthyism
16)    Cuban Missile Crisis
17)    Rosa Parks
18)    Cesar Chavez

Part II – Short Essays
In this section you will have 6 questions, from which you need to choose 3 to answer.  Your answers should be at least 5 sentences long.  Here are sample questions that are representative of the questions I will ask:
1)    What will President Richard Nixon be best remembered for?  Why?
2)    What was the importance of music to protest of the 1950s and 1960s?
3)    Interpret the following image.  What does it tell you about history?  What information do you know about the time the image was taken that helps you bring greater meaning to it?

[I will use a new image if I use this question on the exam, but it will be an image you have seen in class]

4)    Read the following excerpt from a primary document [taken from Voices of Liberty].  What information about historical change can you gather from the document?
5)    What different forms did protest take during the 1950s, 1960s, and 1970s?
6)    Describe economic changes during and following World War II that caused the “Age of Affluence.”  How did they influence American culture of the era?
7)    How did technological change alter Americans’ lives between the 1950s and 2000s.
8)    How did the development of the atomic bomb change foreign policy during the Cold War?

Part III – Argumentative Essay
In this section you will have two essay questions from which you should choose one.  They will ask you to make a claim about the importance of a certain type of historical change.  A strong essay will clearly state the change at the very beginning, explain why the change affected what came after, and then list substantial evidence that the change had a large impact.  Your answer should be at least 4 paragraphs long.  It is recommended that you begin with an introductory paragraph, include at least two paragraphs presenting evidence, and finish with a concluding paragraph.   Sample questions:
1)    Which type of history is most helpful in explaining societal changes between 1950 and 2010: political, cultural, social, technological, or economic history?
2)    During which decade that we have studied so far did the greatest amount of change occur?
3)    What types of leadership have been most important in American history between World War II and the present day?

This entry was posted in (admin only) Assignments. Bookmark the permalink.