The Movie

Watch the movie Plimpton 322: The Ancient Roots of Modern Mathematics at Professor Laurence Kirby’s webpage.

3 Responses to The Movie

1. zainab says:

Professor Kirby
    That is a great short documentary/movie that you did, It is spectacular and I did not want it to end. I am hoping that someone will find the other missing piece of the “Plimpton 322” tablet, if there’s really a missing piece and decode its meaning and its purpose as well as the creator of ”Plimpton 322” tablet. I am always amazed to see that ”mathematics” comes from all around the world, from the Middle East, to Africa, to Asia, Europe, the Americas and still, we are talking the same language with some slight differences in the way of writing it ” The Language of Mathematics” “The Language of Nature”.

Congratulations Professor!!!!

2. Krystel Roche says:

I really enjoyed watching the short film. I learned that the history of the time that we use now. It was back in Africa by an 18th Dynasty Ancient Egyptian architect by the name of Senmut who designed his own. He used 12 divisions of the night and 12 of the days and itbecame our hours. The story of Al-Khwarimi is also interesting because digital devices and wall street got better over time because of his invention of Algorithm which comes from his name. The fact that history of Mathematics comes from all over the world in India, Africa is very captivating.

3. Krystel Roche says:

Now, concerning the Plimpton 322, it’s interesting that it is still a mystery and nobody knows who wrote the Plimpton 322. I also learned that there are more than 500 tablets in Columbia University alone which includes the collection of George Arthur Plimpton & David Eugene Smith. Even Neugebaun who teamed up with Sachs to publish an edition of the Plimpton 322 haven’t found who wrote it. You noticed something about the “war” in Iraq, I think that he may be even harder for the archaeologist to find any evidence of the author of the plimpton 322.