Oblivious of NYC

I’ve lived in the borough of Queens for almost all of my life, except prior to my immigration  to the states, and I consider myself a New Yorker. However, even though I live in New York, I don’t know much about the city itself other than the major tourist attractions and importance as a financial district. Instead, all I know about New York consists of the various important things that are routine in my life, such as being able to get around using the MTA and knowing which restaurants to eat in the neighborhood. Other than that, I am completely oblivious to the rest of the city.

Now, coming to Baruch wasn’t much of a difference from my high school. I still have to commute and there is a large and diverse student body. All that has really changed consists of commuting from one borough to another; Even my routine remains somewhat similar to what it used to be as I ignore all other aspects that seem unimportant to what I am doing. I am still oblivious to what New York is and what goes on within the city.

Coming from a small Asian community, I don’t really need to know much about the city; and as a first generation immigrant, my goals are very stereotypical of my culture. However, since attending Baruch last semester, my eyes have been “opened” up a little more and I’m looking forward to expanding my view on things as I learn more about various things, that which includes learning and experiencing New York.

About Stephane He

NO-CARD
This entry was posted in HMWA. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Oblivious of NYC

1. EKaufman says:

What do you mean by “my goals are very stereotypical of my culture?” What are these goals? Do you think that being driven by specific goals makes you oblivious to other things? How?