Transitions by Alvino Kumaga

Transition. Isn’t that what life is about. We as humans are in a constant state of transition. As we age from children to pre-teens, to teenagers, and finally to adults, there are many things that transpire throughout that time. We go from using diapers to big boy underwear, we experience puberty, we have our first crush, we play in our first state championship basketball game. But there are also many occurrences that we would rather not remember. Who wants to remember the time that they got rejected by their prospective date for prom? Who wants to remember that time that they spent so much time and put so much effort into that essay only to receive a C+? Who wants to relive that moment in time when they did not think college was for them ,were failing every class, and had no motivation to continue? The answer to that is , no one. But the fact still remains that sometimes these are the memories that stick with us the most. That is most definitely certain in my case.

But transitioning from these more elementary accounts, I want to give a more recent account of my transitioning from work and school.

I graduated from DCC in May of 2012 then I decided it would be best to take a semester off, work, gather my bearings, and make the decision about what is next for me. I knew I wanted to transfer but my semester’s GPA of 4.0 would boost my chances of getting into my first choice, Baruch. Over the summer I got a job at Quick Chek a convenience store where I knew the boss. For the first time in my life, I spent an extraordinary amount of time working instead of going to school. I became a $10 an hour earning scrub. My priorities shifted from school and savings and preparing for my future to working 50 hours a week and living lavishly. The store needed me more and more and after only a few months, I had received promotions and raises. I hated my job, but I was making good money so I couldn’t complain. I never had a REAL job so this was a test for me and many times I had to swallow my pride.

project_quickchek

transition-thumb

3963533885_b5cc56c121

I never would have thought that I would find myself working in a convenience store with, no offense, people that live off of the income they make here and people that didn’t exactly have as lofty life goals as I had for myself. The store is located right outside of Newburgh, a town that is proclaimed the top 5 most dangerous cities in the country. So customers as well as my fellow employees sometimes would look  at and talk to me as though I am some dumb hoodlum from the streets of Newburgh. For the first time in my life I was living the definition of racism. It’s really funny how people judge you by the way you look and your place of employment. These people did not know where I came from, where I lived, what my GPA was, what my IQ is, or anything about myself that could tell them some valuable info about myself. I found myself constantly aggravated and almost drawn to the point of cursing out a customer or coworker. But then one day I thought to myself. Am I any better than the hoodlum that could walk in here, get a job, and make the same that I make? I realized I was no different. But still I held myself to a higher regard, even if I was the only person who was doing so. I separated myself from people I thought I was “better than.” I knew that come January I wouldn’t work here no more and be dependent on this income but I would be at one of the best business schools in the country working towards my degree.

There is a quote that goes something to the tune of, “you can only truly experience life’s highs after being at your lowest.” That was my low. I knew my potential but I was not fulfilling it at the slightest. I was down on myself for a while…

THAT WAS UNTIL I RECEIVED MY ACCEPTANCE LETTER FROM MY SECOND CHOICE SCHOOL AND THEN MY FIRST!!!

The day I got into Baruch College was the day that I was reminded I have a special purpose in life. I knew what I was capable of and now I would be in the perfect situation to do that. I would be able to hone my business skills, learn new information, explore the great city of Manhattan, and connect with successful business people. I knew the transition would not be easy but at 21 years of age, after 124 credits at community college, and 7 months of working full-time at a convenience store, I was ready.

My life has always been in transition. I grew up in the Bronx, but lived in five different places. I then moved Upstate to Hopewell Junction, NY and now I am back living in the Bronx. From driving everywhere to taking the train and bus everywhere. From community college to Quick Chek to Baruch College. The transition is a strenuous one but so far I am getting through. I’ll let you know if I am feeling the same at the end of the semester.

TO BE CONTINUED…

About Alvino

NO-CARD
This entry was posted in Free Blog, KMWA. Bookmark the permalink.