The Return to Broadway

Over the weekend, I got the chance to attend a Broadway show, something I have been unable to do for a very long time. I have only seen two shows on Broadway in my life, The Producers and Spamalot, and ever since I saw the latter over five years ago, I have been itching to get back into that seat and watch a new show.

My goal for a long time has been to score tickets to The Book of Mormon, yet as most who have attempted the same can attest to, it is certainly not an easily task, especially if you are not willing to fork over an arm and a leg. So to hold me over until I finally get to see that show, I went with a friend to a see a musical that just arrived on Broadway not two weeks ago. The name of the show is Hands on a Hardbody, and featured a phenomenal ensemble cast. Yet despite the talents of all of the actors on stage, nothing got to live in the limelight than the true star of the show: a shiny red Nissan pickup truck.

Set in sunny Fort Worth, Texas, Hands on a Hardbody recounts a tale that may seem strange for a Broadway musical. Ten contestants enter into a radio competition that forces them to keep their hands on a brand new truck, allowing the victor to drive that sweet ride on home.

At the start, I felt that this plot would leave a lot to desire, yet the show really takes this premise and runs with it, taking the audience member on a journey through the lives of every last one of those contestants. The test of endurance soon becomes a battle of wits as each contestant proves that they will stop at nothing to work their way towards the finish line and into the prized bench seat. Throughout the show, every single character demonstrated their commitment to the competition, resorting to lies, deceptions, and trickery to knock out their opponents one by one.

Yet despite all the good things going on in the show, the music did leave me slightly disappointed. This is mostly personal bias on my part, however, as I am a huge fan of composer Trey Anastasio, lead guitarist of the rock band Phish. The music in the show sought to emulate the feel of the south, and featured a clear southern rock and blues influence. These genres seem to rarely reach the ears of Broadway showgoers, and as a result, Hands on a Hardbody is a unique and refreshing new arrival on Broadway, allowing an escape into a world that is quite different from New York City.

Overall, the show was a very enjoyable experience, and I am very happy that I decided to spend my night in the theatre. I see Hands on a Hardbody achieving moderate success, and I do recommend to those reading to go out and grab tickets while you can, though if all goes well, the show will be here to stay for a long time.

About Mike McAlpin

NO-CARD
This entry was posted in HMWA. Bookmark the permalink.