Upton Sinclair and the City College of New York

Upton Sinclair was born in Baltimore, Maryland in 1878 and moved to New York City in 1888. By 1890 the precocious Upton considered himself ready to attend the prestigious College of the City of New York, but being only 12 years old, was forced to wait two more years. In his Autobiography he said:

It was a combination of high school and college, awarding a bachelor’s degree after a five-year course. I passed my entrance examination in the spring of 1892, and I was only thirteen, but my public-school teacher and principal entered me as fourteen. The college work did not begin until September 15, and five days later I would be the required age, so really it was but a wee little lie.” (p.23)

In his Autobiography he writes of life at the college during his years as a student. Just like students today, Upton Sinclair complained about required courses.

“I began Latin, algebra, and solid geometry, physics, drawing, and a course called English, which was the most dreadful ordeal I ever had to endure. We had a list of sentences containing errors, which we were supposed to correct. The course was necessary for most of the class because they were immigrants or the sons of immigrants. For me it was unnecessary, but the wretched teacher was affronted in his dignity, and would set traps for me by calling on me when my mind had wandered.” (p.23)

The year Upton began as a student at City College, the Board of Trustees debated the merits of the curriculum. On January 29, 1892 the following was resolved:

“That a Special Committee of seven be appointed by the Chairman of this Board to investigate and report as to the course of study pursued in said College, and as to whether such course of study should not be altered and broadened so as to be within the reach of a majority of the students who enter and desire to obtain a degree; also, as to whether the years of the required course should not be reduced to four years instead of five; also as to whether studies of a more practical nature than are now afforded should not be adopted, and the general instruction so shaped that for the present sum annually expended a larger number of students may be educated at said College, and receive a degree therat; and that the course of study be more adapted to the needs of the classes of the people for whom said College was designed; and that the said Committee do make report as to any further change in the course of study or conduct of the College as may be deemed desirable;. . .” (Board of Trustees, January 29, 1892, p.20)

Upton Sinclair recorded in his Autobiography the names of some of his Professors at the college. Charles G. Herbermann was Professor of Latin and in 1874 was appointed as the college librarian. “As a teacher, Herbermann was rather conservative and orthodox, and on the Faculty he was one of the leaders of the classicist faction in all battles over the curriculum” (Rudy, The College of the City of New York: A History, 1847-1947, p.156).

Professor George Edward Hardy was a professor of English Language and Literature. Remembering Professor Hardy was Howard C. Green, class of 1902. He wrote that he was “a man beloved and respected by all whose privilege it was to have known him. He had been with us only three years” (Mosenthal, The College of the City of New York: Memories of Sixty Years, p.344).

R. Ogden Doremus was Upton Sinclair’s Professor of Chemistry and Physics. “He had snowy white mustaches, one arm, and a peppery temper. His assistant was his son, whom he persisted in referring to as Charlie, which amused us, because Charlie was a big man with a flourishing black beard. I managed early in the course to get on the elderly scientist’s nerves by my tendency to take the physical phenomena of the universe without due reverence. The old gentleman would explain to us that scientific caution required us to accept nothing on his authority, but to insist upon proving everything for ourselves” (Autobiography, p.23).