Principle Investigator: Dr. Christopher Stults

I am an Assistant Professor of Psychology at Baruch College, City University of New York, and a Licensed Mental Health Counselor in independent practice in New York City. The mission of my research and clinical work is to improve the lives of sexual and gender minority people. I received my Bachelor’s degree in Psychology from the University of Miami, my Master’s degree in Counseling Psychology from Florida International University, and my PhD in Counseling Psychology from New York University. In addition to my passion for the field of psychology, I am also a musician (guitar, piano) and an avid music fan
Pronouns: he/him/his
Visit my website for more information.
Click here to view Dr. Stults’ CV

Lab Manager: Stephan Brandt

I obtained my master’s degree in Experimental Psychology at Brooklyn College, CUNY, where I currently teach as an adjunct professor. I am interested in group identity and how meaningful connections to similar others can affect belongingness, self-esteem, and overall well-being in stigmatized populations with an emphasis on members of LGBTQI+ communities. A major focus of my research involves how perceived social support can facilitate these social processes, particularly concerning the implications and alternatives for those who lack meaningful support for identity-related issues in their face-to-face interactions.

Pronouns: he/him/his

Assistant Lab Manager: Nick Rogers

I am an undergraduate student taking a break from school to work. My main research focus is mental health in the transgender and non-binary communities. In addition to research, I am also involved in LGBTQI and prison abolition activism and am a Junior Board Member at New York Transgender Advocacy Group.

Pronouns: he/him/his

Click here to view Nick’s Resume

Research Assistant: Ju Choi

I am a harm reduction counselor at Gay Men’s Health Crisis. I received my Bachelor’s degree in psychology from SUNY Geneseo and am currently pursuing my Master’s degree in counseling for mental health and wellness at NYU. I am most interested in researching health disparities that disadvantage oppressed populations.

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Research Assistant: Amani Ibrahim

I am currently a senior psychology student at Baruch College with a minor in history. I’m also involved in a social psychology lab focusing on social forces that shape academic achievement and motivation. I’m interested in exploring the stigmas regarding mental health in minority communities in New York City. I enjoy playing chess with my father during my free time.

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Research Assistant: Jonathan Hale

I am a graduate student at New York University, with a concentration in Psychology. I’m particularly interested in the intersection of medicine, neuroscience and psychology, particularly the biological foundations of psychiatric illnesses. I am currently working on my master’s thesis in our lab, researching the role of drug use in intimate partner violence. After completion of the master’s program, I wish to pursue a degree as a physician-scientist, specifically working with the substance use disorder population. My future career goals involve running my own psychiatric practice, continuing to pursue research in the juncture between neuroscience and psychiatry, and also teaching.

Pronouns: he/him/his

Click here to view Jonathon’s CV

Research Assistant: Diana Malavé

I am currently a first year Master’s student at New York University studying General Psychology. My research interests are more social psychology based, specifically culture, gender, and LGBTQ+ studies. I hope to one day make a positive impact with at-risk communities. In my free time I enjoy solo traveling and learning new languages.

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Research Assistant: Nico Horne

I am a graduate student at NYU enrolled in the master’s program for general psychology. I am primarily interested in gender cognition, nonbinary gender identities, and addressing deficiencies in the DSM related to gender. I am planning on pursuing a doctorate degree in order to continue with research. Also pictured is my dog, Ruthie. She is, however, unaffiliated with the lab.

Pronouns: they/them/their

Research Assistant: Michael Chumpitaz

I am an undergrad at NYU Gallatin studying Representation for Vulnerable Communities. My focus is on the idea of identity and the way that identity is displayed in the media and in research. I hope to build a community where people can have pride in who they are without fear of discrimination.

Pronouns: he/him/his

Research Assistant: Alessandro Villani

I am an undergrad at Baruch College, CUNY currently enrolled in the Weissman School of the Arts and Sciences for a degree in psychology. My interests for my future consists of psychotherapy, specifically the uses of psychedelics in the future of psychological treatment. I believe that we are all one human race, experiencing the same journey of life. No one being should be restricted of equality for being themselves and expressing who they truly are. I dream to see the community I am a part of thrive, along with the rest of humanity.

Pronouns: he/him/his

Research Assistant: Stan Gao

I’m a first-year Master’s student at NYU in the General Psychology program. Currently, I’m interested in the well-being of transgender & gender non-conforming (TGNC) people in relation to social cognition, gender norms, and romantic relationships. I strive to help the general public and the LGBTQ+ community better understand ourselves. I’m also passionate about marketing and branding, especially in sports and in the meta-context of gender/identity. In the future, I plan to pursue a doctoral degree in social/clinical psychology to continue the journey. In my spare time, I love playing basketball (#MFFL) and exploring different corners of NYC.

Pronouns: he/him/they/them

Research Assistant: Dean TulkoffDean standing against a wall

I am an undergraduate psychology student at Brooklyn college, interested in continuing work within the TGNC and Queer community upon graduation. I currently work within the mental health field as a technician for DeepTMS. My research interests are mental and physical health within the TGNC and queer community. I enjoy movement, performing, and juggling.

Pronouns: Ze/Hir/Hirs or They/Them/Theirs

Research Assistant: Anna Kreienberg

Research Assistant at SGMH Lab since 2019. Graduate student at New York University.

Pronouns: they/them/their