By Meeckel Beecher, Marketing Communications Specialist
The holidays are over and hopefully you had enough time to catch up with friends and family as well as had a chance to rest and relax. If you’re not taking classes during the winter semester then you have a few more weeks to look for job and internship opportunities and of course continue to relax. Here are 5 things that the SCDC recommends you should do over the winter break.
1. Define your career goals: This is the perfect opportunity for you to start thinking about your career goals. Take the time to do a SWOT analysis on yourself. What are your strengths? What jobs are you interested in? What industry would your degree best fit? This assessment will help you to be more strategic in your job and internship search. You can use Focus 2 on STARR Search to help with your self-assessment or you can schedule an appointment to see a career counselor at the SCDC.
2. Research opportunities: Start researching job and internship opportunities immediately. Be sure to use STARR Search to see what opportunities are posted through the SCDC. Keep your search organized by creating a folder to save job descriptions and other important information related to all of the jobs you’re interested in applying to. These job descriptions and other related information will be important when updating your resume and creating cover letters.
3. Update your resume: Change your resume to match as best as possible the requirements of the opportunities you’re going to apply to. Check your resume to ensure that you’ve used action words. Please avoid spelling, grammatical and formatting errors. Be consistent and remember to confirm that your qualifications match what the employers are looking for.
4. Have the SCDC review your resume: The SCDC is open during the winter break and staff is available to assist you. You can make an appointment through STARR Search or you can simply walk into our office. The SCDC is open on Mondays – Fridays from 9:00 a.m. through 5:00 p.m. Walk-ins are Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 3:00 p.m-5:00 p.m. Please arrive by 4:30 p.m.
5. Conduct an online mock interview: Prepare yourself for future interviews by using the Mock Interview Module on STARR Search. The module has over 1000 pre- recorded interview questions. You can use the module at your own convenience. A step-by-step guide on accessing the module can be found on the SCDC YouTube channel.
Meeckel is a Corporate Communication graduate student at Baruch College. His professional interest is in Reputation Management, Strategic Communication and Visual Communication. Meeckel is an avid reader, writer and lifelong learner. When not working, you will find him walking and happily getting lost on the streets of New York.