How to get a Course Credit for your internships?

  • How can you sign up for the internship as a course?

    1. You need to arrange your internship placement first by yourself. For the Spring semester, you’d better start to search for intern positions from October, and for the Fall semester from March. Try to send out your application materials as early as possible.
    2. Once you find your intern position, you need to get an approval for taking POL 5452 (Field Work in Government and Public Affairs) from Professor MK Kang
    3. And then inform the approval to Ms. Sherina John, the administrative secretary of the Political Science Department. Then Ms. John will key you into the registration system. Only after Ms. John keys you in, you will be allowed to register the POL5452

  • How many credits will you receive?

    1. You will receive 3 credits and can take the course up to two times with a different internship. You can get a total of 6 credits
    2. If you get selected for the CUNY Washington D.C. Internship and the New York State Internship programs, you will get 6 credits and up to 15 credits, respectively
    3. You must be a sophomore, junior, or senior in good standing

  • What is required for you?

    1. You are expected to work 8 to 10 hours per week, except for those special CUNY internship positions, which require 10 to 15 hours per week. This means that if you work as an intern too short, for example, 2 or 3 hours per week, those intern positions cannot be accepted for the POL 5452 (Field Work in Government & Public Affairs)
    2. Some outside placements require more than 10 hours per week. If that’s the case, this will be stated on the websites when they announce intern positions.  The time will be arranged at the mutual convenient of your placement supervisor and you. We usually recommend you not to overwork more than 10 hours per week.
    3. You need to keep a written account of your internship experiences, periodically meeting your Baruch supervisor, Prof. MK Kang, and attend the CUNY Forum, a panel discussion broadcast on CUNY-TV(Channel 75, NYC-TV) on a different policy issue each month of the semester.

  • When is it offered?

    • Internships are offered every Fall and Spring semester, but not in the Summer

  • I’m interested, but want to talk further on internships, whom do I need to contact?

Leave a Reply