Thank you for your interest in working at Baruch’s Writing Center. Please note that we don’t anticipate having any open consultant positions until Fall 2021.
- Union classification: Non-Teaching Adjunct
- Hourly wage: $44.69
- Workload: 8-15 hours/week, 15 weeks/semester
- Reappointment: Dependent on budget, availability, and experience
- Benefits: Health insurance available in 3rd consecutive semester of 15 hour/week appointments
About the position
Our consultants support Baruch’s undergraduate and graduate students as they work to become more independent, confident, and versatile writers. Consultants work one-to-one (in person, via online chat, and in written feedback) with student writers, co-author reflective records at the end of each session, conduct small-group and in-class workshops, engage actively in professional development, and take on special projects where assigned.
The majority of our students report a language other than English as their “first or home language,” and we see the Writing Center as an ideal space to facilitate language acquisition through one-to-one support. Our consultants support students in all three schools: The Marxe School of Public and International Affairs, the Weissman School of Arts and Sciences, and the Zicklin School of Business. Nearly 80% of our students are enrolled (or intend to be) in the business school, and we also help writers develop the skills essential to business correspondence and professional writing.
- A graduate degree, or current candidacy with significant work toward degree;
- Classroom teaching, writing center, and/or tutoring experience;
- Experience supporting writers from diverse disciplinary, cultural, and educational backgrounds; and
- Ability to foster the habits of mind that support learning, including curiosity, engagement, and metacognition.
- Experience and training in formal first-year composition, WID, and/or WAC programs;
- Experience producing and/or teaching professional communication; and
- Familiarity with current scholarship on writing pedagogy.
Consultants are paid on the CUNY Non-Teaching Adjunct I scale, currently $44.69/hour for new hires. Reappointment is dependent on budget, availability, and experience. Health insurance is available in the 3rd consecutive semester of 15 hour/week appointments.
- A C.V.
- A cover letter explaining your interest in the position and approaches to working with writers
Please write “Consultant Application” in the subject line.
No phone calls, please.