Thank you for your interest in working at Baruch’s Writing Center! Please note that applications are currently closed.
- Union classification: College Assistant
- Hours: Front Desk attendants generally work in shifts of 5 or fewer hours, for a maximum of 20 hours a week. Shifts may be scheduled during any of the following times: Mondays-Thursdays, 8:30am-8pm, Fridays 8:30am-3pm, or Saturdays 9:30am-4pm
- Hourly wage: Front Desk pay rates start at $16/hour, with possibility for increases due to exemplary performance, seniority, and graduation
- Reappointment: Dependent on budget, availability, and experience
About the position
- Making students feel welcome and at ease. You will be the first face students see when they come to the Writing Center or when they call, so a friendly, encouraging, and patient persona is a must. You will greet students, answer their questions about different services we offer, inform them of what they can expect from Writing Center support, and help them sign up for appointments, workshops, and online support.
- Opening and closing the Writing Center. You will set up computers, maintain the overall cleanliness and appearance of the space, and make sure the Center is operational.
- Managing our online scheduling system. You will make, reschedule, and cancel student appointments, initiate new student registrations, and schedule class visits for faculty members.
- Supporting writing consultants in their daily work. You will communicate with the center’s part-time teaching staff about scheduled student appointments, make photocopies for student sessions, restock supplies, and provide technical/computer support at work stations.
- Responding to email requests from students and faculty. You will be expected to respond to emails in a timely manner and to communicate clearly and professionally.
- Supporting the directors with tasks such as record keeping, maintaining the Writing Center’s website, compiling information for longer-term assessments, and preparing workshop and class visit materials.
We primarily hire current Baruch students, though we occasionally hire recent graduates. The main responsibility of the front desk is to help ensure the smooth functioning of the Writing Center by welcoming students, scheduling appointments for them, and supporting professional writing consultants in their daily work. We are therefore looking for reliable, friendly, assertive, self-motivated, organized, detail-oriented people to join our front desk staff. Experience in providing excellent customer service—in an office, a restaurant, through volunteer work, etc.—is a strong plus.
Federal Work-Study applicants are encouraged and welcome to apply, but it is not a requirement.
Front Desk pay rates start at $16/hour on the College Assistant line, with possibility for increases due to exemplary performance, seniority, and graduation.
- A resume
- A cover letter describing your interest in and qualifications for this specific position.
In your cover letter, please:
- Describe your interest in and qualifications for this specific position
- Include what hours you are available to work
- Indicate whether or not you anticipate having a Federal Work-Study award for the coming academic year. Please note that you are welcome to apply whether or not you have work-study.