The following cover letter responds to a call for an open position at the front desk at the Baruch College Writing Center. You can find the job ad at the end of this page to see how the applicant tailored her letter to this position.
112 35th St, Apt 7
Brooklyn, NY 11232
July 8, 2018
Baruch College Writing Center
NVC 8-185, One Bernard Baruch Way
New York, NY 10010
Dear Diana Hamilton,
I am writing to apply for the position of front desk attendant at the Baruch College Writing Center. I am currently a rising junior in the Baruch Honors Scholars program. As an English major, aspiring journalist, and editor of the student newspaper, I often meet struggling writers. I know that the Writing Center is an invaluable resource for these students, and I would be eager for the chance to assist with its daily operations.
← Identifies the position of interest
← Summarizes why you think you’d be a good fit for the position
← Communicates interest in the position and organization, thereby demonstrating familiarity with the job.
For the last three years, I served as news editor of The Ticker and managed the print and online versions of the news sections. Each week, I assigned stories and edited the articles for my section. These experiences gave me insight into the writing process and working with a team. Editing also taught me to be detail-oriented and self-motivated—I had to ensure the issue was ready on time, and I was the last person to look at proofs before they went to print.
In addition to my editorial experience, I also have extensive customer service experience. As a cashier at American Apparel, I assisted customers, organized items and helped out at events. As a volunteer at Housing Works, I was responsible for closing the bookstore on many shifts, and for maintaining a friendly, bright persona for the customers who came in looking for book recommendations. I would bring the same friendliness to the Center’s front desk.
← Identifies strong qualifications and connects these to position’s needs
← Describes relevant skills, education, and experience, and customizes these towards position (including, often, keywords from the job description itself.)
← Highlights transferable skills, proficiencies, and achievements
Working with student writers is a passion of mine. Though I grew up speaking Hindi, my education gave me the opportunity to become fluent in English, enabling me to pursue a career as an editor. I would especially love to be a part of the Writing Center’s work supporting English language learners. I have attached my resume and writing sample to this email for your review. Please do not hesitate to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or (646) 312-0000 if you have any questions about my application. Thank you very much for your time and consideration.
←Strongly reiterates interest in and passion for company and related industry
← Refers to any relevant enclosed materials
← Reiterates contact information for clarity
← Thanks reader for taking time to read letter
Front Desk Attendant Wanted
We are looking for bright, reliable, friendly, assertive, self-motivated, organized, detail-oriented people to join our front desk staff. Experience in providing excellent customer service—in an office, a restaurant, through volunteer work, etc.—is a strong plus.
- Greeting Students. You will be the first face students see when they come to the Writing Center or when they call, so a friendly, encouraging, and patient persona is a must. You will greet students, answer their questions, inform them of what they can expect from Writing Center support, and help them sign up for appointments, workshops, and online support.
- Working with Consultants. You will let consultants know when students have arrived.
- Corresponding. You will be responding to student and faculty e-mail requests, so you need to be able to produce error-free correspondence in a professional and friendly writer’s voice.
- Opening and/or closing the Writing Center. You will be responsible for opening and/or closing the Center, setting up the computers, and making sure that the Center is operational.
- Other responsibilities include assisting the Directors as needed with tasks such as photocopying, recordkeeping, and preparing and distributing materials.
To apply, please email your resume, cover letter, and writing sample to Diana Hamilton, Writing Center Director (email@example.com).
This resource from the Baruch College Writing Center is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License. You are free to share, adapt, transform, or otherwise use this material in any medium, with attribution.