Professor Angie Beeman will give an online talk, “Progressives, Radicals & Well-Meaning Liberals” on June 11 at 8pm. Any proceeds from the sliding scale fee will go to Black Visions Collective. Please email Professor Beeman (email@example.com) for free tickets.
This is from IFC (Independent Film Center):
“An extraordinary documentary that we played in 2011, THE BLACK POWER MIXTAPE: 1967-1975 is available for free this month on Amazon and Apple TV, as the country grapples with the ongoing scourge of violence against the Black community.
Through archival conversations with leaders of the Black Power Movement—including Angela Davis, Stokely Carmichael, Bobby Seale, Huey P. Newton, and Eldridge Cleaver—enriched by contemporary interviews with Harry Belafonte, Talib Kweli, Erykah Badu and others, this searing chronicle offers a vital look at our recent history.
We remain committed to providing a platform for Black stories. Black Lives Matter.
THE BLACK POWER MIXTAPE: 1967-1975 can be streamed at no cost until June 21. Thanks to our sister company, IFC Films, for making the film available.
We have also compiled this list of other films centering on Black experiences that have been made available to stream for free by various distributors, which we will continue to update.
- 13TH (2016, Ave DuVernay)
- 16 SHOTS (2018, Rick Rowley) – available on YouTube, and Showtime
- A WELL SPENT LIFE (1971, Les Blank)
- ALMA NO OLHO (1973, Zózimo Bulbul)
- AND WHEN I DIE, I WON’T STAY DEAD (2015, Billy Woodberry)
- BLACK MOTHER (2018, Khalik Allah)
- BLACK PANTHERS (1970, Agnes Varda)
- THE BLACK PANTHERS: VANGUARD OF THE REVOLUTION (2015, Stanley Nelson)
- BODY AND SOUL (1925, Oscar Micheaux)
- BURN MOTHERFUCKER, BURN! (2017, Sacha Jenkins) – available on YouTube, and Showtime
- CANE RIVER (1982, Horace Jenkins)
- DAUGHTERS OF THE DUST (1991, Julie Dash)
- DOWN IN THE DELTA (1998, Maya Angelou)
- DRYLONGSO (1998, Cauleen Smith)
- GURRUMUL (2017, Paul Damien Williams)
- A HUEY P. NEWTON STORY (2001, Spike Lee)
- I AM NOT YOUR NEGRO (2018, Raoul Peck)
- JUST MERCY (2019, Destin Daniel Cretton) – available on YouTube, Google Play, Amazon, and Vudu
- LOSING GROUND (1982, Kathleen Collins)
- MONSTERS AND MEN (2018, Reinaldo Marcus Green)
- MY BROTHER’S WEDDING (1983, Charles Burnett)
- PORTRAIT OF JASON (1967, Shirley Clarke)
- RAIN (NYESHA) (1978, Melvonna Ballenger)
- RAT FILM (2016, Theo Anthony)
- THE SCAR OF SHAME (1929, Frank Perugini)
- SELMA (2014, Ava DuVernay)
- SUZANNE, SUZANNE (1982, Camille Billops and James Hatch)
- SYMBIOPSYCHOTAXIPLASM TAKE ONE (1968, William Greaves)
- THE TALK: RACE IN AMERICA (2017, Sam Pollard)
- TELL THEM WE ARE RISING (2017, Stanley Nelson, Marco Williams)
- THE WATERMELON WOMAN (1996, Cheryl Dunye)
- WINNIE (2017, Pascale Lamche)
- WHERE THE PAVEMENT ENDS (2020, Jane Gillooly, Aparna Agrawal, Khary Saeed Jones)
Many thanks to everyone who has suggested additional films to add to this list.”