Change in Community Service Requirement – Effective Fall 2020
The new policy reduces the total number of hours and gives more flexibility on when you can complete your hours.
Effective fall 2020, Baruch Honors students are required to complete a minimum of 30 hours of community service. Students must complete a minimum of 10 hours each year for the first three years. (Previously, Baruch Honors students completed 15 hours per year.)
- Students may complete the service requirement earlier, if desired.
- Community service hours may now roll forward to another year, i.e., students may exceed the minimum 10 hours per academic year.
- Students will continue to write a reflection essay on each service activity.
- Timely submission of service paperwork continues to be a requirement of good standing in Honors and to graduate with College Honors (due May 1st each year, or the last day of classes for students graduating early).
- This new policy applies to all students, including current students who entered under the prior policy (so, if you’ve completed 30 hours, congratulations!)
- With this flexibility, students will no longer receive a waiver of community service for studying abroad, since students will have greater flexibility to complete service prior to traveling.
The revised policy aligns more closely with Macaulay’s policy and still serves the original learning goals:
- To encourage active citizenship
- To foster reflective learning
- To learn to identify service opportunities
- To learn how to include service in your life
The new policy allows for more flexibility to complete your requirements early. As you work through your academic and professional plan, this makes room for enrichment activities (such as study abroad, internships, research etc.), particularly in the senior year.