Bureaucratic Nightmare

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKIE3IUkkp8

Bureaucracy is in all of our lives; actually it is even in our schools. How many times have you been asked to go from one room to another to fill out forms or to find out where the hell are you supposed to go to get your question solved. I know I had a lot of these situations. Today we think of bureaucracy as a negative thing, it is even an insult to call someone a bureaucrat.

The idea of a large amount of people being split up into their little tasks seems really good in paper, it makes it easier on the worker because he does not have to worry about everything and it also makes it easier for the people who go to that place for whatever reason they have. Sure it sound great but the reality is what it is, it sucks. The frustration of trying to get something resolved is immense that before I go get something done I have to mentally prepare myself for what is coming ahead.

I believe that Max Weber had the right idea of what would make for a good system but in reality it doesn’t work as well. It is the people who work there that make it a terrible experience. They are mostly undertrained, lazy and don’t know what they are talking about. It is easy to pass on the blame or the task when you got hundredths of other people working with you. The video I have picked shows what it feels like for us customers, it might be a bit exaggerated but it is accurate in showing how bureaucracy really looks. 

About es138090

5081190214663825

49 Responses to Bureaucratic Nightmare

1. ty137258 says:

Wow, great portrayal of a bureaucratic process! I might even dare to say it’s not exaggerated at all. When I transferred to Baruch, I was careful to get all the paperwork required in on time so that my application could finally be reviewed. But every time I checked in to see how it was going, they would say I was missing something that I wasn’t aware I needed to send in. They are really good at turning things around putting all the blame on you for forgetting something. And it’s also my fault when I go into whichever office to hand in a hard copy and they lose it! Call me bitter.

It’s interesting to see how the word bureaucracy has evolved to have such negative connotations. It started out as a way to organize and give structure to processes, to make it more efficient, but I guess somewhere along the way, the emphasis on hierarchy increased and some may have gone on a power trip. It’s not fair to say that all people working in bureaucracies are like those in the video, making life difficult for you while they “rest on their laurels,” but perhaps the negativity is an “innate” characteristic. Bureaucracy is supposedly impersonal and everyone is potentially replaceable so if one doesn’t fit into what the bureaucracy has outline, you’re out, and they can move on to the next. And believe it or not, apathetic attitudes like robots (no empathy) are ironically contagious and just perpetuates throughout the system.

I think it’s great when an organization/company makes an effort to put a a human being on the frontlines of customer service instead of making you go through a whole bunch of punching numbers to figure out what issue you have. Even though it’s a lot more work and training at the expense of the company, I’d like to believe that good customer service which results from a human being understanding another human being’s issue will make it more profitable for the organization, and the “customer” gets what he/she wants (or at least the sense that the bureaucracy tried). Win-win.

2. ik145669 says:

This is funny. It seems a little exaggerated, but I’m sure most of us feel sympathy for those kind of situation. In my experience, because I came from different country it was very tough for to me to keep up with the bureaucratic process. First thing I have been through was getting a driver license. Because I’m in this country with student visa, there were more than 6 points documents required and everytime I went to DMV different person asked me for different and more parpers. I had to go there 5 times to finally get my ID. Same thing happened when I bought my car insurance, applied for school, and transferred to another college. As a foreigner, I understand there are more steps waiting for me to verify my status, but at the same time, I was questioning myself “Would there be any more efficient way to get through these excessive process?”. I personally think the reason why these things happen is concerned with excessive bureaucracy and individualism. In the bureacratic society, you don’t work as human being but money maker literally because you’re anyway going to make some money by sitting in the office. And I think these things even get worse when bureaucracy meets individualism. You don’t necessarily to think about other’s issue because that’s not your part of job, but the thing you should really care about is you and your work, not other people or their stories. This is too sad to see our society being mechanized, expecting more efficiency and productivity.