Tamar Kali’s Pearl (remix), is one of loud confusion. Literally. Kali’s loud voice combined with unknown lyrics only leaves one to rely on the video for understanding. What seems like a quest to find freedom and true beauty in women through “naturalness” and a collection of body piercing, it is still a work left up in the air in meaning. Different, maybe. Trying too hard, more likely.
- Oscar Brand, Folk Singer Whose Radio Show Twanged for Decades, Dies at 96 October 1, 2016Mr. Brand wrote books and scores for musicals and films, but was best known for WNYC’s “Folksong Festival,” the longest-running radio show in history with a single host.
- Excerpt: Ryan Speedo Green in ‘La Bohème’ September 30, 2016Mr. Green sings “Vecchia zimarra” from Act IV of Puccini’s opera.
- Harry Belafonte: ‘Movements Don’t Die’ September 30, 2016The singer, actor and civil rights leader reflects on his work ahead of a festival in the Atlanta area that focuses on voting and mass incarceration.
- A Singer’s Journey: From Solitary Confinement to the Met Opera September 30, 2016Ryan Speedo Green, a 30-year-old bass-baritone with a budding international career, is the subject of a new book and much attention.
- The Playlist: Danny Brown and the Weeknd Serve Up Twists and Turns September 30, 2016Hear the 10 tracks that caught our critics’ attention this week, from Solange’s “Don’t Touch My Hair” to Tacocat’s “The Internet.”
- Oscar Brand, Folk Singer Whose Radio Show Twanged for Decades, Dies at 96 October 1, 2016