Tamar Kali’s Pearl (remix), is one of loud confusion. Literally. Kali’s loud voice combined with unknown lyrics only leaves one to rely on the video for understanding. What seems like a quest to find freedom and true beauty in women through “naturalness” and a collection of body piercing, it is still a work left up in the air in meaning. Different, maybe. Trying too hard, more likely.
- Review: Planets, Tubas and Febrile Strings With the New York Philharmonic May 27, 2016The Philharmonic has pulled together Holst’s most famous suite, a tuba concerto by John Williams and a passionate Elgar piece.
- Review: Joseph Keckler Shares Operatic Overtones and Tales at Pangea May 27, 2016Mr. Keckler delivered arias, bird calls and more in a performance that could be called alt-cabaret.
- A Changing of the Guard for Performance Space 122 May 27, 2016Vallejo Gantner, the artistic director of PS122 who will step down when a replacement is found, said, “You want to leave when the going’s good.”
- 10 Things to Do Now in NYC May 27, 2016A new guide to cultural highlights taking place in New York this weekend and over the week ahead. And there's plenty more where these came from.
- The Playlist: Jay Z Sips Lemonade and Adele Divides and Conquers May 27, 2016Hear the tracks that caught our pop critics’ attention, from Kesha’s Bob Dylan covers to Flume’s new song with Beck.
- Review: Planets, Tubas and Febrile Strings With the New York Philharmonic May 27, 2016