Tamar Kali’s Pearl (remix), is one of loud confusion. Literally. Kali’s loud voice combined with unknown lyrics only leaves one to rely on the video for understanding. What seems like a quest to find freedom and true beauty in women through “naturalness” and a collection of body piercing, it is still a work left up in the air in meaning. Different, maybe. Trying too hard, more likely.
- Rocking Out Backstage With an Opera Star December 3, 2016Visit the boisterous backstage life of the opera star Anna Netrebko in her current production at the Met.
- Together Again, for Now: The Hold Steady in Brooklyn December 2, 2016With the keyboardist Franz Nicolay returning to its lineup, the band is playing four sold-out shows celebrating the 10th anniversary of “Boys and Girls in America.”
- Popcast: Bruno Mars and The Weeknd, the Past as Muse December 2, 2016This week, a discussion of new releases by both artists who have more in common than it may appear.
- The Playlist: Burial and Laura Marling Slip Deeper Into the Void December 2, 2016Hear the new music that caught our pop critics’ attention this week, from Lil Yachty’s Beats 1 Freestyle to an imaginative Paul Simon remix.
- Review: A Newly Relevant ‘L’Amour de Loin’ at the Met December 2, 2016Kaija Saariaho’s work, making its New York debut, is the second opera composed by a woman to be presented by the company. (The first was in 1903.)
- Rocking Out Backstage With an Opera Star December 3, 2016