Tamar Kali’s Pearl (remix), is one of loud confusion. Literally. Kali’s loud voice combined with unknown lyrics only leaves one to rely on the video for understanding. What seems like a quest to find freedom and true beauty in women through “naturalness” and a collection of body piercing, it is still a work left up in the air in meaning. Different, maybe. Trying too hard, more likely.
- Bernie Worrell, Whose Keyboards Left an Imprint on Funk and Hip-Hop, Dies at 72 June 25, 2016Mr. Worrell created indelible signatures on Parliament and Funkadelic songs while showing that synthetic sounds could be earthy and untamed.
- From Cathedral or Saloon to Guitar June 24, 2016Rick Kelly hunts for discarded wood from famous New York establishments to fashion into instruments for the likes of Bob Dylan and Lou Reed.
- Review: A Maudlin Trip Down the Amazon, With a Star in Disguise June 24, 2016“Florencia in the Amazon” has its New York premiere with New York City Opera. Enough already with the constant soaring melodies.
- Dolly Parton Is Proud of Her Gay Fans and Hillary Clinton June 24, 2016Ms. Parton takes a break from her 60-city tour to also talk about her new album, a TV series based on her life, female country singers and more.
- Dev Hynes: New York’s Last Bohemian on the City and His New Album June 24, 2016The musician and London native is nourished by both the elegant and the mundane as he seeks out and studies the city’s many crevices and ghosts.
- Bernie Worrell, Whose Keyboards Left an Imprint on Funk and Hip-Hop, Dies at 72 June 25, 2016