360 Degree Photos in an Android Phone Camera

I’ve been playing around with the Google Camera app that lets you take immersive, Google Street View-like pictures (Google calls them photo spheres). You make a photo sphere by taking pictures all around you and then letting the app stitch the images together. Sometimes the stitching is pretty good, sometimes there are a lot of weird artifacts. Here are some photo sphere pictures of our library and my office that I took yesterday and today. If you download the pictures, they don’t have that interactive immersive effect that you see when you view them on your phone in the app or when you view them in Google+.

Here’s an video showing you how to take pictures in the photo sphere mode of the Google Camera app:

As you can see from the video, you can upload these to Google Maps so that when someone is viewing a place on the map, they’ll be able to check out any photo spheres that are affiliated with that place (more details here).

I haven’t found a way yet to embed a photo sphere in your own site; it seems like you have to click over to a Google website that hosts the image to get the interactive and immersive experience. If there is a way to embed the images, they’d be fun to add to the library website.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to 360 Degree Photos in an Android Phone Camera

1. I submitted one of the photo spheres to the Google Maps service and have had it accepted. Now, when you are viewing the address for our building, you can see among the pictures from the neighborhood the .